Hourly Rate

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIY Stew

Established Member
Reaction score
I am retired (I'll health) so find it difficult to work in the 'shop' for more than a few hours per week, I have been asked to make a few postboxes for weddings, my problem is what do I charge, I dont wish to take work away from tradesmen so I would like to charge 'the going rate' unfortunately I cannot charge by the hour because it takes me a few weeks to make and paint a box.

I thought about £60-£70, they are made from MDF with a lockable door on the back, so apart from 12mm MDF there are a pair of hinges, a lock and primer and paint.

DSC_0003.NEF.jpg

Stew

Attachments

• DSC_0003.NEF.jpg
    DSC_0003.NEF.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 248
an excellent product with alot of work going into it, but i bet if you said £200 to couple to wed soon they would laugh. its a toughy

adidat

paultnl":3nlbdq6j said:
Why not make one and rent it out for weddings.

That' to me is a very sensible option, then you would only have to make a handful, then rent them out for 20 quid a time.

If I made that and sold it for £70 i would have to make it in less than 2 hours, and then add the vat on as well! I guess that you just have to charge what you are happy with, if you are only making a few I can't see any "tradesman" losing any sleep over it. Looks very good by the way. =D>

On a serious note.................. just a tip about using reproduction official-looking Crown insignia without permission.......... You'll get a shirty letter first then they'll jump all over you.

Thanks for all your replies, I don't think I explained myself properly.

I only make things for a hobby, it fills my time in and gives me a little pleasure to think someone is pleased with something I have made for them, I don't want to undercut any woodworkers who have to make a living from commissions, that is why I asked what to charge.

I have had so much free help from a lot of people on this site and I don't want upset anyone by selling cheaply because I don't have the overheads you guys have. Hope that makes things a little clearer.

Argus thanks for the warning.

Stew

How about changing it to the happy couples initials?

I had something simular at mine, but ours was a white metal bought one, with flowers arranged around it and our initials painted fancy on it.

(on a different note, how's your brother getting on with his carving? is he still doing them, he's very talented)

Melinda

I have done one with Bride and Grooms initials and even if i say so myself it looked very good, as for big brothers carving, he's still carving but friends and neighbours are now asking for Santa baubles for the tree!!!
If I remember correctly you asked if he could do you a Disney character, I will remind him of this and if he cant find time I will give it a go! :roll:

Stew

Back