Hotmail problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcluma

Established Member
Reaction score
Off lately, I frequently find myself unable to connect to my e-mail account

Am I the only one encountering this problem?

McLuma

Are you behind a proxy?

I can not find the link at the moment but a few weeks ago M$ 'upgraded' hotmail and it does not like being connected to via a proxy any more. I have to disable squid on my firewall router before I can connect.

Hotmail's become a total pain in the proverbial. I keep having to log in instead of accessing it from Outlook Express; change of policy to reduce spam apparently. Driving me nuts trying to make out those hieroglyphics I'm supposed to copy to prove I'm not a robot. :evil:

Cheers, Alf

it does not like being connected to via a proxy any more

Dave thats when you fireup a new account, I am still with Hotmail reading my mail through outlook express.

Just a thought if you have not used your Hotmail for a month they suspend the account, but then they would tell you that when you sign on.

Alf

I have that problem as well with one of my non-paid accounts, You have to check in every month to ensure your not a robot but a human being

But after that you outlook should be ok

McLuma

did hotmail change their mail server addresses, maybe? In outlook express, there's 2 server addresses you configure - one for receiving (usually using pop3) and one for sending (smtp). If you're having problems sending from express, sounds like either the smtp address has changed, or there's a problem with the smtp server on the hotmail side.

(sorry if egg suck teaching was in above post)

It's a change of policy, not a change of server. What happens is you go to send a message and all the message headings in the folder disappear and one from Hotmail pops up with a link instead. You have to follow the link to sign in, do the heiroglyphics thing and then you have access to your account again. Of course then Hotmail's message, with the proper explanation of what's changed, disappears too and you get to wait around while the entire contents of your inbox is downloaded again. :roll: However, judging by this it's only a matter of time before I can't even do that:

We are pleased to inform you that because you are an existing and valued customer, at this time your current Hotmail and MSN account(s) are exempt from this restriction and you will be able to continue enjoying access to those accounts from Outlook or Outlook Express.
It's not me being a computer klutz on this occasion, honest. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Chris, I have this funny feeling there's something you're trying to tell me...? :lol: It's okay, once Charley has stopped moving things to other servers I'll switch to my cornishworkshop one. Don't want to do it just yet as I won't have access while he's moving it apparently.

Cheers, Alf

Back