hot melt glue guns - bulk offer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigbud78":6a46znmr said:
CHJ":6a46znmr said:
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/bosch-pkp-18-e-240v-glue-gun-416780

416780_R_Z001

I've had one of these for years and find it very effective, glue throughput is all that I ever want.

I've just got this as well, top glue gun. Think its 200W. From what I read the higher wattage guns are better as they get the glue really hot which helps with adhesion.

:)
I have two of these Bosch, one at home, one in the workshop at work, neither work. One failed on the non return valve on the tip, new tips are too dear to keep replacing, other leaks glue back out past input end. Really disappointed after the good reviews. I bought them to replace a heavy duty Stanley, will give the Tec a try. They get used a fair bit, both at home and work so don't mind paying more for one that will last even the warranty period. Can't be ar**ed to send them back, life's too short to persuade replacements.

Phil

Hmm, it was two Stanley Gr100's that failed one after the other neither lasted more than six months. Going to go for the Tec 810 this time. See how long that lasts.

We do use black glue sticks instead of clear, these do set harder in the gun and are slightly runnier when hot, so is probably that causing the failures.

Phil

Sheptonphil":3ktiztmn said:
Hmm, it was two Stanley Gr100's that failed one after the other neither lasted more than six months. Going to go for the Tec 810 this time. See how long that lasts.

We do use black glue sticks instead of clear, these do set harder in the gun and are slightly runnier when hot, so is probably that causing the failures.

Phil
This is cheaper than the one shown on Ebay.-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new
or another -
https://www.gluesticks.uk.com/tec810-in ... Path=11_14

Yes, sorry, something went adrift with the Amazon link, it is a link forward from the intended one, and of course it doesn't go backwards. It is wrong. It'll be a work of art to find the intended one. :)
The other one has 5kg of glue sticks with it., so assuming a high usage of glue it's a good buy.

Sheptonphil":1phdt2wv said:

Phil
Just curious? Why black glue sticks?

Alexam":3idisnhl said:
Sheptonphil":3idisnhl said:

Phil

Looks like the viscosity is better for his application. Pigments affect the viscosity of a polymer in different ways, some will reduce the melt viscosity and others will increase it. That's why certain colours of paint are easier to spray than others, whites are often very difficult to get a good finish on because of the viscosity profile caused by the pigment.

A question for those of you that use the Tec guns...
What type of glue do you use, given the great range available?
And what size of glue stick, 12mm or 15mm?

Thanks
Duncan

Alexam":1fte6kx0 said:
Sheptonphil":1fte6kx0 said:

Phil

Black is used as T-M suggests for its properties rather than its colour. (Although sometimes black is better when it is used as a filler/repair)

The main use is in the repair of black plastic chassis and laptop plastics after impact damage/abuse. The black sticks are less viscous so can embed brass threaded inserts where they have pulled out, it flows well but not excessively, bonds far better to plastic than clear sticks and sets hard, rather than flexible. When used to insulate DC plugs after soldering, the cap is then sealed on with an SMD heat wand effecting a sealed unit.

Phil

Duncan A":54s7lmr7 said:
A question for those of you that use the Tec guns...
What type of glue do you use, given the great range available?
And what size of glue stick, 12mm or 15mm?

Thanks
Duncan
Depends on the application of course, but I've been using Tecbond 260 for a while now - as a general-purpose adhesive for a variety of materials (wood, metal, ceramic, glass) it's been excellent. Slightly longer open time than most as well, so allows for a bit of 'positioning'. I use a 12mm glue gun - not a heavy user, so it's fine for me.

HTH, Pete

Thanks gents, it was looking at the GGD site that had me scratching my head in bewilderment at the wide range of guns and glues. Their own, very good, glue selector comes up with a number of suggestions which I wouldn't necessarily have chosen simply by looking at the glue descriptions, hence my question.

I'll initially be using it for gluing sacrificial blocks of wood to turning workpieces - nothing fancy needed, just fast application for a good strong grip. I have no doubt that there will be plenty of other applications that present themselves once I have got myself a decent glue gun, so I'm trying to cover all bases in addition to the main task.

At present, I'm considering a 15mm option for the speed of application, but I could well change my mind yet!

Yes even the cheapest market stall glue has always been more than adequate for me as temporary chucking fix, and I've mounted some fairly heavy stuff at times.
Secret being to get it really up to temp. (bubbling) to stop it chilling too much immediately it contacts the wood and don't turn on the lathe until it has gone opaque again unless you want to mimic an irrational spider.

Phil and Chas, thank you, sounds like I'm overcomplicating things as usual.

I'll pay a visit to Lidl and Aldi in the next day or two and see what they've got.

Back