Hose Holder Thingymajig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you lot had seen something similar to what I've imagined in my head, Some kind of easily adjusted articulating arm that I can bolt to a machine that will hold a standard vacuum hose in whichever place you set it. Seems like something that should exist but I can't find anything like it.

Push comes to shove I'll just buy some cheap articulating arm that's suitable and make it work, but less work is always nice so long as it's cost-effective :) .

TheTiddles":11vibdwr said:

Something like that is what first came to mind when I was thinking about it first since I've got one on my lathe for the coolant pump, but they don't do it bigger than 3/4" from what I can see, I'm looking for something to hold a standard 38mm extraction hose.

Deadeye":1rndevbf said:

Looks suitable, but I wonder how long the friction ball joints would last in a workshop environment with constant use and dust ingress.

sunnybob":1rndevbf said:
anglepoise lamp

That's sort of what I'm after, without spending £50+ on one just to take it apart for the mechanism :lol:.

Something I have seen before are what's called "lazy smartphone holders". For the sake of £3 it may be worth buying one and seeing if they're any good and hold fairly rigidly
s-l640.jpg

If you search eBay for Polylock you'll find exhaust part dealers selling a flexible stainless steel hose. From descriptions saying it can be used for bulk handling of powders etc I think it's something that will bend and hold the shape but can be changed again and again. It comes in 38mm or 50mm diameter so could replace the last metre or two of your vac hose.
Possibly worth a chat with a seller to make sure.

They start on ebay for £6.I expect local gumtree would get you a free one.

That stainless exhaust hose has very limited flexibilty, its mainly used for stopping vibrations from the engine wrecking the solid pipe system.
It might bend enough for your use, but its going to cost you more than an old anglepoise.

Lots of ideas on Youtube for dust extraction on the lathe or drill press.
Lathe version has the hose with a wide mouth mounted on the end of a slotted arm. Other versions have anglepoise type arms mounted on the rear wall.
You don't even need anything fancy. Two boards, screwed at right angles, with the hose attached can be clamped almost anywhere.
My version of a panel light which could equally hold a hose. Held in the vice for the photo but normally mounted on the wall behind the lathe on a French cleat.

Tip 017 - Panel Light 12w.JPG

Attachments

• Tip 017 - Panel Light 12w.JPG
    Tip 017 - Panel Light 12w.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 394
I use the locline extraction articulating stuff (65mm bore??) connected to a 4” soil pipe fitting so I can plug it into my long extraction pipe on one side of the workshop wherever I need it, it works like an elephants trunk you can stick anywhere dust is being made and it stays there. I think I’ve been using it like that for at least a decade and it still works perfectly.

Downside, if you have to pay for it, it’s pricey stuff.

Simple and crude method.....old vacuum hose, 4mm piece of rebar taped to it.
Should then bend to any shape and hold.

Jonathan

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

I forgot to add, lots of adjustable arms for mounting cameras on Youtube.

Another couple of ideas

Shopvac Hose Arm 2.jpg

Shopvac Hose Arm.jpg

Attachments

• Shopvac Hose Arm 2.jpg
    Shopvac Hose Arm 2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 216
  • Shopvac Hose Arm.jpg
    Shopvac Hose Arm.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 214
I'm still looking for a solution for this, you'd think there would be something already available to hold a hose solidly in a fixed position and also adjust it to another position.

LocLine seems the best bet but it ain't cheap by the time you've bought all the bits!

Back