Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Hornbeam & Padauk

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
Hollowed vase.

I`ve not posted any pieces for a while as all of my recent work has been purely functional stuff, such as knobs & handles.

I`ve been using quite a bit of Hornbeam lately, which when the LOML saw some remarked that the lovely pale colour would go well with the tiles in our cloakroom & so requested a small vase of some descript. :roll:
To complicate things she asked if i could incorporate another wood that would tie in with the darker mosaics :-s :-k

The up shot of which is todays offering, not yet in place, I`m not that daft, but photo`d against the only black background I could come up with, a bin liner :oops:

HYL.

Cheers.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Good clean lines suit that wood and by the sound of it the Bosses remit as well.
Now you have started something, " could you just knock something up to compliment that ---in the other room" and there is that ---which woold look nice with something to highlight..!!!

Don't see much Hornbeam around here, very attractive as a white contrast wood, nearest I get my hands on colour wise is Ash, but it does not have the close grain look of that piece.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
CHJ":i68pp3zb said:
Now you have started something, " could you just knock something up to compliment that ---in the other room" and there is that ---which woold look nice with something to highlight..!!!
Tell me about it :shock: , I`ve had a few days off & made window boards, picture frames, airing cupboard racking & a gate, then tonight my youngest asks if we can make spinning tops.

Anything for a quite life.

Though he`s spent more time playing with them than we did making them, so a bonus there.

CHJ":i68pp3zb said:
Don't see much Hornbeam around here, very attractive as a white contrast wood, nearest I get my hands on colour wise is Ash, but it does not have the close grain look of that piece.
My local saw mill has Hornbeam in every now & then, he sells much of his wood only part seasoned so I just stock up when he`s got it & dry it at home. I like it for handles & knobs as it turns so nicely & as you say, is close grained so ideal for them. I`ll stick some in the car boot for you when I`m next down at one of Peter`s open days.

Paul.J":i68pp3zb said:
Very nice Douglas :D
Nice contrasting wood to use with the Hornbeam.
Thanks mate, hope you are all well.

The good lady isn`t sure about the contrast yet, but for the time being it has been allowed to stay in the house, always a good sign :lol: :lol:

Cheers.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Doug B":13e20mm2 said:
CHJ":13e20mm2 said:
Don't see much Hornbeam around here,
I`ll stick some in the car boot for you when I`m next down at one of Peter`s open days.
Cheers.
That's a kind offer Doug, would be very grateful for a few bits.
I'll make sure I keep some Walnut or similar bits on one side as an exchange.

richburrow

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice one doug, the work looks great. Not spoken to you for ages, I will give you a bell soon. I layed the concrete, got a mini mix in to save time, thank you for your kind offer mate.
Speak soon rich