hornbeam anywhere please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

condeesteso

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in making a chisel handle in hornbeam (just wrecked a beech one on my 2" U.S. Stanley, though I suspect the beech wasn't all that good). What has impressed me over years now is the bland looking hornbeam on the Lie Nielsen chisels. I am amazed what a thrashing they will take. Anyone any idea where I can find close-grain hornbeam please?

condeesteso":38fe0a0o said:
I'm interested in making a chisel handle in hornbeam (just wrecked a beech one on my 2" U.S. Stanley, though I suspect the beech wasn't all that good). What has impressed me over years now is the bland looking hornbeam on the Lie Nielsen chisels. I am amazed what a thrashing they will take. Anyone any idea where I can find close-grain hornbeam please?

I'm burning Hornbeam on my wood burner at the moment - I'm sure there's a suitable log in the wood store that you can have. I'm only down the A21 in TN33 0RG

email me at andrew(at)mawson(dot)org(dot)uk if you want to try your luck as I don't visit this forum very often.

Just felled a Yew if you want a bit of that as well!

the timber mill in Alresford carry it, cheap too from what I remember. However they don't keep to their advertised opening hours which really Zilch-Wedlock me off when I've driven an hour to get there. Stiles and Bates I think also have some as turning blanks

Aidan

I was in Bamptons southampton today and noticed some hornbeam. I was buying ash so did not pay much attention to it.

Bob

Excellent response many thanks - Andrew I will email you but as a back-up would maybe try Cambridge and Mac. I fancy having a few small pieces in stock - if it's as good for handles at it seems. By the way I notice on the Lie site they say it's commonly called ironwood over in Maine.

9fingers":3emfph0t said:
I was in Bamptons southampton today and noticed some hornbeam. I was buying ash so did not pay much attention to it.

Bob

I was there buying teak on the same day. Did you provide some of those lovely ash offcuts I picked up?

Aidan

Not I Aidan.
The offcuts they had were insufficient for my needs so I had a few of the 12 footers they had at the front of the timber store.
It is planing up very nicely indeed. My first trip to Bamptons and I was impressed. I'm sure I will go there again.
Their 1" ash seemed to be about £24 per CuFt plus vat which seemed good to me.

Bob

Latest posts

Back