Horizontal/Vertical router.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

having just been discussing routers in another thread, and having yesterday been looking at the Woodpecker Unilift at Woodex, I've started to think about building a router table that combines the functions of the horizontal table, with a conventional table in one unit.

My horizontal table is based upon the design in "Woodworking with the Router" by Bill Hylton and Fred Matlack and has been incredibly useful, I use it more than my more conventional table, mainly with two sleds designed for morticing.

I was thinking about building the cabinet style table from that book (similar to Norm's table - not that I've ever seen Norm!), as my next big project is the kitchen and I want a good stable table before I start into that.

Before I get started I was wondering if anyone had come across a design that incorporated both into a single unit?

regards

Colin

Not a combined unit but one that could easily be adapted to fit on rear od normal table:

http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/ ... ws0503.htm

Have seen on horizontal retro fit that had router mounted on a simple swiveling vertical plate mounted on rear of table, will try and look up a pic.

Edit: Chris is describing what I have seen in the next post.

Colin,

My table incorporates a horizontal fixture for the router. I'd take a picture except I haven't used it for years because to do so would disturb my Incra fence set-up which I am loath to do. I shall thus try to describe it - it was done so long ago I forget which book I took the design from.

Basically, there is a substantial board in the shape of a segment of a circle (about an eighth) that is hinged at the narrow end by a bolt fixed through the board horizontally into the back side of the table top at the right hand end. The circular part of the board lines up with with the left hand side of the table. In the board there is a cutout for the router. It is held in any given position by another bolt that passes through a curved slot in the board with curvature of of the appropriate radius to allow the board to swing up or down and thus adjust the height of the router cutter.

I had to thicken the section of my router table top at the back to accommodate this so that (a) there was good strength for the bolts and (b) there was a wide enough surface for the board to register against and form a proper right angle with the table top.

If this doesn't make any sense, I will try a quick CAD picture of the set up.

Colin
I have done exactly what you are planning.
I made the HM from Router Magic, and as that is another Bill Hylton book, I bet it is the same thing.
I have it on the left hand end of my (Norm) table, and I too use it mainly for horizontal mortising. I'd be interest in seeing pics of the sleds you mentioned.
The only downside that I have come across is due to the fact that I put in a channel for my mitre fence, so it goes front to back, and crosses the main mitre groove. This means that sometimes the front end of a workpiece hits the groove, esp if it is not quite flat, resulting in a witness mark on the edge. Apart from that, it's terrific.
Cheers
Steve

Chj, thats not dissimilar to mine but the router is mounted on a an mdf panel that is clamped to the base by two bolts and has two vertical threaded rods that bear on these to provide the up/down adustment.

Steve. the sleds are simply flat mdf panels one with a fence parallel to the spindle axis the other at 90 degrees. They have adjustable stops at the left and right that control how far the sled can move left-right and hence the mortice length. I will get photo's but granny's here for dinner so am engaged on social duties for the evening.

Chris, I get the idea from the description. Elegantly simple!

Thanks for the input - I'll get some pictures of what I have so far to show you asap.

regards

Colin

Colin this is a picture I had in my archives, sorry to whoever it belongs but I have lost the reference of source.

router_table[1].jpg

Height adjustment was achieved with slots in the vertical panel I believe.

Back