Horizontal Mortiser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paddywack

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a Horizontal Mortiser that gives me rounded ends to the Mortises, my problem is this-do I cut the ends Square or do I round the Tenons, through Tenons obviously have to be square for looks. How do others resolve this quandary.

Thanks for reminding me I had a choice, as this is a forum I was more looking for other peoples methods of working.

I think if you do a search for Woodbloke, he has a signature through tenon, its quite oriental but its not square. I also know a joiner who uses through wedge tenons and as he uses the monster domino system his aren't square either and look very nice:

Cyclones.jpg

Attachments

• Alan Pics 004.jpg
    Alan Pics 004.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 1,200
As there is no difference in effectiveness, as far as I can see, it comes down to what you like the look of best. Personally I'd rather square the mortice than round the tenons. I think it is easier to do neatly. Have you tried both? What do you prefer to do?
For me, if the tenons are blind, I'd probably use my domino. Before that I used a router jig and made my own "dominoes" but they didn't have to be round-edged. I just cut them a bit narrower and chamfered the edges. That also gives room for the air to come out as you assemble.
If I'm doing through tenons, then I use my hollow-chisel mortiser and one of my tenon jigs, either the tablesaw one or the bandsaw one, depending on the size of the job and what mood I am in!
I don't think there is a definitive answer to this in terms of what is "best".
S

I suppose a lot would be down to the style of furniture with the through tenons. I just wondered what peoples thoughts were.

I round the tenons if they're blind, if they're through tenons I like to do them square with contrasting wedges when they're decorative.

I thought that until I had some mortises 70mm deep in Oak and they were a job and half, so for me from now on its rasp the tenons if they don't go through and square the mortises if they do.

Back