Horace Britton multi-tool

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's quite a number of modern versions of this type of tool but mainly screwdriver orientated?
I've got two different makes.
I suppose the Leatherman, Gerber etc types are more popular as a Gentlemen's tool?

Rod

Harbo":1syhhvdj said:
I suppose the Leatherman, Gerber etc types are more popular as a Gentlemen's tool?

True, although I carry a Leatherman multitool in my apron for those increasingly common times when I lose shop tools!

Hi Scouse - it takes a rather odd tool to bring you 'out' these days :)
Here are the sums... you have about 9 Millers Falls 'egg-beaters'. So one of these offers a proportional usefulness.
And I am agreeing now... an 1890s gents toy-tool type thing. Nice though. By the way, clear signs mine has been tapped with another tool*, so it was used for something more than the average Swiss Army knife gets used for. And I cannot for the life of me see how I would open a Bud with it (back to teeth then).

* dawned on me - the other tool was the bottle of Bud... whack it on the end of the Britton to knock the neck off. Sorted.

That is the kind of thing I wish they made a turning kit for. Even if it was £80 or so, for a really special present it would be great

Aidan

and further Scouse... very well researched!! It's the 1893 patent that is stamped on the tool - mine has Nov 28th 1893. Makes me feel odd as I handle it... just 28 years after the Civil War ended.

condeesteso":140myx5p said:
and further Scouse... very well researched!! It's the 1893 patent that is stamped on the tool - mine has Nov 28th 1893. Makes me feel odd as I handle it... just 28 years after the Civil War ended.

That's the joy of old tools, for me at least. I often return from car boot sales/ charity shops/ ebay visits with cheap old tools I know nothing about and don't need, but researching their history and thinking about the work they have done and who did that work over the 100 years or more of their life does give a sense of something, I'm not sure what. It's not nostalgia or sentimentality although it might sound like it! It maybe some perspective of my own work and skill, or lack thereof, with hand tools, but also some humility, that the tools worked, produced things, outlasted their original owner and will outlast me, while still being put to work.

Scouse":2n0uttlw said:
condeesteso":2n0uttlw said:

That's the joy of old tools, for me at least. I often return from car boot sales/ charity shops/ ebay visits with cheap old tools I know nothing about and don't need, but researching their history and thinking about the work they have done and who did that work over the 100 years or more of their life does give a sense of something, I'm not sure what. It's not nostalgia or sentimentality although it might sound like it! It maybe some perspective of my own work and skill, or lack thereof, with hand tools, but also some humility, that the tools worked, produced things, outlasted their original owner and will outlast me, while still being put to work.

Well said!

And would I be right in thinking that you find it a sort of antidote to the relentless consumerism of today, led as it is by the 'necessity' of throwing so much stuff away, to make room for the next 'essential' purchase? I do!

Yes indeed Scouse and Andy... we get to use some tools that were born before us and will outlast us. Its history is greater than I am - just happy to be the guardian for a while.

Scouse":2dozun1l said:
condeesteso":2dozun1l said:

This just about sums it up for me...my thoughts in words...hence my love of bootfairs...

I get BAD....it's seasonal but called BOOTFAIR ABSENCE DISORDER instead! I can't wait until March comes around.

I think we all need retail therapy but for many this is satiated by shopping in malls. For me...it's bootfairs, junkyards, charity shops, antique shops....just to find unusual things.

I take them home and if I have to got to work in the afternoon I get terrible withdrawal that I can't play, clean, restore or otherwise just be with my finds.

So that just about sums it up for me too!

Jim

Seems I have gained membership of the "Tool Pad" club (hammer) Now need a spare jaw though :cry: all thanks to Jimi's tip off and very reasonable at £8.10 posted. Was the other bidder one of the chaps I wonder?

Tommo - I think I follow this. So Jim has started a club called the Tool Pad club, and it costs £8.10 to join? Is that one year or lifetime? The only bit I am confused about is the spare jaw. Is that because Jim talks a lot?

I don't mind being the founding member of the Tool Pad Slope. I am sure there are far more costly slopes out there and few with such deep research interest. Maybe once we have a few members...we can start the "most innovative" bit competition, making or acquiring a bit to fit that does the most useful job? :wink:

I am glad we kept those two other "pads" in the "family"!! Well done for getting them so cheap Tom..

It will be interesting to see if you can transfer the jaws from the Stanley to the Britton.... If they follow the same patent then I don't see why not. If you don't have the facilities for metalworking I might be able to help you there if you want to restore both...or maybe Adam might be your best man here...this would give you a chance to see how they function Adam?

Post some pictures up when you get them!

Cheers

Jimi

I found this whilst rooting through some of my Dad's old stuff:

multitool2.jpg

multitool1.jpg

Not quite in the same league though - about 2 1/2" when screwed together - the tools fit inside.

Rod

I have one exactly like that Rod...though for the life of me...I can't put my hand on it now...I think that Annie has "borrowed" it....it's probably in a handbag somewhere. :mrgreen:

Ok....confess...who bought THIS ONE

Top dollar but top condition too!

Jim

Yep, that's a nice one. I note the cap has either lost its plating (nickel on brass) or was plain brass originally. I paid that for mine by the way - if it's in good nick and has all its tools I think that is the going rate. Dealers try and get more still of course. Come on... own up :wink:

Back