Hooray!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
At last I have a straight curved door!
You may remember a couple of weeks ago I was weeping over the fact that I had pressed a couple of curved wardrobe doors that were not the shape they should be. Well now, after making 2 moulds, modifying the second one and pressing 4 doors, I have ONE which will do nicely. It's not bowed, it's not twisted and it is smoothly curved in one direction and straight in the other. I only hope it stays that shape! Just another 3 to go now!
Cheers
Steve

Steve,

Thanks for posting this sort of info, it gives me heart to know I am not alone in fight to get wood to the shape / length / finnish required when it doesn't always turn out :oops:

Yep Steve, I remember this awful incident. Well done on sorting it out and good luck with the next 3. Fingers crossed :wink:

Cheers

Tony

Chris
I made a new mould. Instead of being ribs glued to a baseboard, I made a torsion box about 4" thick so there was no way it was going to sag. The third door was better, but was faceted, because as the air was also sucked out of the box (it wasn't airtight) the skin was being pushed in. WHere the spines were resulted in sharper ridges rather than a smooth curve. So I glued some 6mm MDF over that to strengthen the skin.
It's only cost me a couple of hundred quids worth of ply and a week.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Maskery":356iv2o2 said:
It's only cost me a couple of hundred quids worth of ply and a week.
Phew. Good thing it's all come right before it started getting expensive then... :shock: :wink:

Glad to hear you've got it cracked now, Steve (when I say cracked, obviously I hope that's not literally the case at any stage :shock: ). Everything crossed for the next three then. :D

Cheers, Alf

I have got one or two, yes. I'll be writing this up, so maybe they will see the light of day in a mag one day, in the fullness of time. :) !

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back