Honing planes and chisels cheap?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GazPal":3q782ckt said:
If budget is a major consideration you can always move to the next size down in oil stone/diamond plate at 8" x 2"

If you could provide a link for an ekstra fine (hard) oil stone of that size, that will ship to Sweden, i would be most gratefull. Budget is a major consideration :)

Peter G Denmark":11jkbqra said:
Jelly":11jkbqra said:
Are you getting the results you want from your tools when you're actually working wood with them? you can obsess about perfecting an edge all you like, but the only real test is "is it functional, do i get the results i want?"

I get what you are saying, but with that philosophy, none of us should have more than 4 chisels, a handsaw, a hand brace with a couple of bits, a square, some clamps and a Stanley no. 4.

I "feel" the difference between an allright sharpened tool, and a very sharp tool. Like a brand new tablesaw blade feels better the first week, even though it cuts ok week 4. It's more enjoyable for me to work with, and enjoyment is important for me in my shop.

I get exactly what you mean, I have a fine and coarse oilstone, and for 99% of things, that's sufficiently sharp, sometimes working with really awkward wood, or doing something intricate in softwoods, I need sharper... so on those few occasions I use some very fine wet and dry paper as per scary sharp, it's cheap because I'm only sharpening to that level when I need to... I guess whether you could take that approach depends on what it is that you do in your own woodwork.

Edit: I had no idea about those slate stones... the manufacturer is about ten miles away, and i can (just about on a clear day) see the quarry from my house; definitely going to have to try one.

Corneel":2q1bx944 said:
But your waste basket fills up with oily rags, you really should bring to a chemical waste disposal facillity instead of just dumping in the garbage. And your oilstones are slower. And even the finest of Arkansas stones (if you can find one) is still coarse compared to fine waterstones.

Like I wrote, it's always a compromise. It's what you like and can handle easilly in your shop. I don't see a reason for strive.

My oil stones are slower? Have you been watching me at work or something? :lol: Speed of cut is perfectly fine, as long as you keep the stone oiled and don't glaze or clog it (Normally caused by trying to use it dry). I use oil stones to hone an edge, but never to grind one. Speed and mess are non-issues as the oil residue is minimal and the biggest plus regarding oil is it keeps rust at bay.

My oily rags (Soaked in 3 in 1) are quite at home wrapped snugly around plane soles thank you and there's no need to dump them unnecessarily. Speed needn't become an issue unless you're using stones for jobs they're not intended to do..... Such as bulk steel removal where a grinder is best suited and there's no need for compromise. :wink: :D

----------

Peter G Denmark":2q1bx944 said:
Not to draw this out (which discussions on sharpening often seems to do), but have any of you used a "slate wetstone". http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... e-Wetstone

Here in Scandinavia it was the de facto stone for axemen, and i might be able to track one down locally.

Or here: http://www.inigojones.co.uk/products/Honing-Stone.php

Damn - that's cheap.

Dragon's Tongue are decent stones that perform extremely well and compare nicely with hard black Arkansas stones. I have a couple of fresh Dragon's Tongue stones waiting to go into full time use, but my son uses his regularly and swears by it. It's one well worth having shipped out to you from the source and they will make larger than 8" x 2" stones, but at a premium as they're not a standard offering........Still cheaper than their wider Arkansas counterparts. :wink: :wink:

Corneel":12nsixab said:
But your waste basket fills up with oily rags,
Really? Mine doesn't. One rag goes a long way
you really should bring to a chemical waste disposal facillity instead of just dumping in the garbage.
Tiny amount of oil used - very insignificant. You'd use more to cook a plate of chips.
And your oilstones are slower.
Not if you do it properly i.e. fast and hard, which you can't do with either a jig or waterstone.
And even the finest of Arkansas stones (if you can find one) is still coarse compared to fine waterstones.
Black Arkansas is finer than anyone ever really needs for woodwork, surgical fine? and they are available from dealers.

Jelly":2b15qcrb said:
Edit: I had no idea about those slate stones... the manufacturer is about ten miles away, and i can (just about on a clear day) see the quarry from my house; definitely going to have to try one.

Nip across to their on-site shop and you might get a guided tour of the place, as well as pick up a decent oil stone too. :wink: I'm not too sure if they're sourced from the same quarry as their other wares though.

Now we are talking :)

I found a local supplier that has 200x50x16mm slate honing stone for £7. Will definately give that a go.

Peter G Denmark":18ipx4ep said:

I found a local supplier that has 200x50x16mm slate honing stone for £7. Will definately give that a go.

Sounds like a plan Peter. :wink: Ask if he has small off-cuts which can be used as slurry stones and you'll be pleasantly surprised by how a simple water/oil bound slurry can help the stone cut.

I know Dragon's Tongue stones were something in the region of £11 each (Plus delivery) when my son bought his last year.

GazPal":b9gzkpf3 said:
Peter G Denmark":b9gzkpf3 said:

Sounds like a plan Peter. :wink: Ask if he has small off-cuts which can be used as slurry stones and you'll be pleasantly surprised by how a simple water/oil bound slurry can help the stone cut.

I know Dragon's Tongue stones were something in the region of £11 each (Plus delivery) when my son bought his last year.

They want £20 in shipping, so i think i will try my local supplier's stone first. Sweden has a pretty proud history of dealing with wood, so i don't know why i didn't think of slate before, and being a natural stone, i guess i could be just as lucky with the local stone supplier, as with the one from the UK.

But i will probably have to lap the stone a little anyway, and saving the slurry from that is great idea :)

Peter G Denmark":2rbi3bim said:
GazPal":2rbi3bim said:
Peter G Denmark":2rbi3bim said:

They want £20 in shipping, so i think i will try my local supplier's stone first. Sweden has a pretty proud history of dealing with wood, so i don't know why i didn't think of slate before, and being a natural stone, i guess i could be just as lucky with the local stone supplier, as with the one from the UK.

But i will probably have to lap the stone a little anyway, and saving the slurry from that is great idea :)

That's a bit heavy on the postage. I couldn't agree more in terms of local suppliers as you've doubtless equal - if not far better - oil stones locally and hopefully cheaper than having to order something from abroad.

GazPal":1878731h said:
That's a bit heavy on the postage. I couldn't agree more in terms of local suppliers as you've doubtless equal - if not far better - oil stones locally and hopefully cheaper than having to order something from abroad.

Are there any local forums you can ask this question on? With all due deference to British Experts, there may well be local factors (especially on availability, pricing, postage and working practice) which we Brits are ignorant of.

BugBear

bugbear":3gzjzbdz said:
GazPal":3gzjzbdz said:

Are there any local forums you can ask this question on? With all due deference to British Experts, there may well be local factors (especially on availability, pricing, postage and working practice) which we Brits are ignorant of.

BugBear

Thank you for the suggestion :).

Unfurtunately a lot of "specialized" tools are not avalible for private consumers here (Sweden and Denmark). You have to own a company to have access. There are of course big warehouses that sell tools, but they all pretty much sell the same. So sharpening stonse are either the £0.90 model, or they are 2x6 cm's big... Some online stores do sell specialized equipment, but they often charge double the prices of the same goods in the UK.

For instance. I looked for a lapping plate for 3 years, because Axminster wouldn't send that heavy an item to Sweden. Non of the stores here even knew what it was. So - in the end i took the yellow pages, plotted in all the kitchen companys in my GPS, and the 35th place i asked, they where kind enough to let me rumage through their off cuts. 2 hours with a straight edge in a dumpster, i found 2 pieces... Now - that's great, but i would rather have been able to buy the £35 tillgear lapping plate - would have been worth it.

Peter G Denmark":3nsv03mq said:
bugbear":3nsv03mq said:
GazPal":3nsv03mq said:

BugBear

Thank you for the suggestion :).

Unfurtunately a lot of "specialized" tools are not avalible for private consumers here (Sweden and Denmark). You have to own a company to have access. There are of course big warehouses that sell tools, but they all pretty much sell the same. So sharpening stonse are either the £0.90 model, or they are 2x6 cm's big... Some online stores do sell specialized equipment, but they often charge double the prices of the same goods in the UK.

For instance. I looked for a lapping plate for 3 years, because Axminster wouldn't send that heavy an item to Sweden. Non of the stores here even knew what it was. So - in the end i took the yellow pages, plotted in all the kitchen companys in my GPS, and the 35th place i asked, they where kind enough to let me rumage through their off cuts. 2 hours with a straight edge in a dumpster, i found 2 pieces... Now - that's great, but i would rather have been able to buy the £35 tillgear lapping plate - would have been worth it.

Possible in-roads to purchasing "trade only" goods could be via educational establishments, company owners/employees, or membership of trade related organisations. Some suggest stonemasons as good sources for lapping slabs and whet stones, but not too many work to tight engineering tolerances or have access to suitable quarried stone. Uncovering the location of whet stone makers may provide a few opportunities for you.

Back