honing planer blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. When they start to get a bit blunt, you hone. Stick to the same number of strokes on each edge to keep them even, and watch you don't slice through your knuckles. :wink: Worth having I think; just tickles up the edges enough for the job when otherwise I might have had to resort to a newly sharpened set.

Cheers, Alf

I use a small pockets sized DMT stone to hone my Scheppach P?T blades from time to time.

It is useful for a touch-up but it does not replace periodic grinding on a proper set-up (eg Tormek, or sending out to a professional service).

I imagine the Axminster hone is no different in this regard.

I have one of those and its a useful tool for keeping the edge on the planer knifes. I use it on my Perform planer/thicknesser when I convert between modes as you do need the fence off to use it.

Another vote here. I use one on my Delta planer/thicknesser. VERY useful for taking out those tiny nicks that leave a thin line down your newly planed board!

I'm still waiting to use the spare set of blades that came with the planer as the sharpener has kept the originals in good condition. I think the trick is to not let them get too blunt in the first place...

Back