Honing Guides for Scraper Blades

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike-W

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been following the reviews on the Veritas planes and scrapers with interest. While I can manage a burr on cabinet scrapers I was wondering if anyone can suggest a solution for resharpening the 45degree bevel on the likes of the Vetitas scraper plane and cabinet scraper; both have blades over 70mm wide. All the honing guides that I am aware of will not take a blade wider than 68mm?

All the best Mike-W

Hi Mike

I, ahem, recently acquired a lovely LN scraper plane and the blade is easily sharpened on my Rexon flat grinder - might be worth a look as it also sharpens P/T blades, plane irons and chisels quite nicely too :)

http://www.rexon.co.uk/

Go to Grinders - WG180A

Tony":gqk11f0f said:
I, ahem, recently acquired a lovely LN scraper plane
It doesn't have a Cornish accent by any chance, does it? :wink:

Neil

Cut a piece of 2x4 at 45 degrees, clamp the blade and the wood in a vice so that the blade is flush with the angled face of the 2x4, then use an oilstone to hone the blade, resting the stone on the wood. The wood keeps the stone at the correct angle.

Tony":2cejrytf said:
Might have :roll: Not saying :D
chuckle :lol: - when I saw the post from you-know-who about it I just had a feeling that a PM would be flying in that direction from you :wink:

Neil

Tony":od71k3p6 said:
Neil":od71k3p6 said:
Tony":od71k3p6 said:

Neil

If 'un starts tellin' yew it'll get to work "drekkly" you'm in trouble, m'handsome... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":aou5meqv said:
Tony":aou5meqv said:
Neil":aou5meqv said:
Tony":aou5meqv said:

Neil

If 'un starts tellin' yew it'll get to work "drekkly" you'm in trouble, m'handsome... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Crikey Alf, :shock: it is a good job I didn't buy that scraper plane off you! Between its Cornish accent and my Welsh one, we wouldn't have been able to understand each other at all!!!! :D :D :D

Thanks for all the replies, I have just spoken to BriMarc who are demonstrating at Isaac Lords tomorrow and they are now taking the Veritas Jointer/Edger and a few Scrapers for me to have a look at, I thought the block of wood cut at 45degrees was another good idea (Why couldn’t I have thought of that?!!!)

Mike-W

I just free hand it. Filing, honing and burnishing. Nothing magic about a precise 45º bevel on a cabinet scraper blade.

Alf,
Drekkly is a fine 'Murican word for us Southerners. As in "Drekkly, here comes ol' Bubba in his pick-em-up".

Tony":1dfeokrn said:
just HOW MANY people did you try to sell it too before me????
Been hawking it round for ages; you're the first suck- , um, astute punter to snap it up... :wink: Lovely paint job eh? You'd never know the front half was from a VeeDub and the back used to be "Dobbin" in the Redruth Am Dram pantomime... :lol:

Roger, drekkly's such a useful expression, it should have more international recognition. Politicians would find it endlessly useful for a start. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Drekkly is a Cornish mis-pronunciation of as we all know the correctly spelt Devonshire word 'draccly' which of course means 'directly' or later on!!!

Yer c'mon Alf me beauty gittin rite.

:wink: :lol:
aldel

Mike-W":3crrrue5 said:
(snip)

All the honing guides that I am aware of will not take a blade wider than 68mm?

All the best Mike-W

... I would add "so far" to that....the new honing guide (due May-June) will handle a scraper blade, or a #8....

You've had good advice on other methods though!

Cheers -

Rob

Mike... I've found that my Axminster honing guide can take the 3" blade of my L-N #112; I set the angle with a mitre square and give it a tickle on some wide water stones bought just for it.... works like a charm....

aldel":2mkbcq92 said:
Drekkly is a Cornish mis-pronunciation of as we all know the correctly spelt Devonshire word 'draccly' which of course means 'directly' or later on!!!
Well m'handsome, dunno as to what you fellas up country think it means, but round these parts it's at the very least much later on... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I was dragged off topic by the others, y'honour. Led astray. :roll:

Hi everyone,
I'm a little late on this one but I don't think anyone mentioned the plywood trick. Just put a piece of birch ply (or whatever) in the jig and clamp the wide blade to that.
Frank D.
Cnv0167-scraper-jig-sharpen.jpg

Back