Honda HRB476 QXE mower questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Jones

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm in the market for a new to me (second hand) mower for my domestic lawn cutting business, this would mainly be used as a back up mower. I've recently come across a Honda HRB476 QXE mower for sale but can't find a on-line user manual, or much else come to that, about it on the net.

Does anyone on here own one and if so do they have any comments about it good or bad. It would be really useful to know a few specs as well like min/max cutting height, if the deck is alloy or plastic and also if you can empty the bag while the mower engine is still running.

Many thanks

Steve

Edit: I've now found an on-line manual for the specs but overall comments from owners on the machine are still welcome.

Hi Steve

I've got a Honda HRD535K bought new in July 2000 and I've got a lot of lawn and apart from the usual maintenance and one gummed up carb from dodgy petrol it has been superb. Starts every time, never lets me down.
It has the Honda engine (5 or 5.5hp - can't remember) Have all original docs but don't know if they would help much.

Mine has the alloy deck and I was told that if you don't keep it clean, especially over the winter when stored, the deck can corrode through!

I won't go past Honda as I have a 16hp garden tractor I use for the paddock and it's as reliable as the lawnmower.

Bob

Thanks for that Bob, must admit up to now I've been looking for a Hayter Harrier 56 but I'm quite impressed with the specs of the Honda.

Regards

Steve :)

Hi Steve,

I inherited with my house a 25 year old Honda tractor mower which starts first time and runs like a dream. You can still get parts and the local engineer who has maintained it infrequently since new says it is the Rolls Royce of mowers. He should know as he mainains some 4000 garden machines.

He says newer machines under the Honda name are actually made under licence (I think by Mountfield) and not to the same standard. I am unsure when Honda stopped manufacturing themselves.

Regards
Richard

Thanks for the comments guys, keep them coming. The one I've been offered is at the right price but does have a collapsed bearing on the one side of the rear roller so I'm just wondering how difficult this is to replace (I'm not a complete novice) or if I will need to buy a complete new roller assembly. Decisions decisions.

Steve

Iv'e got a Hayter Harrier 56, and it's certainly a super machine. Briggs engine, which means that if/when it does go wrong, spares are not that expensive. Have also got a Honda rotavator which is an ex-hire machine, so must have had a hard life, but has also been very good. EXCEPT when something did go wrong, spares were a horrendous price from the local agent and don't seem easily available elsewhere.

With respect to your question about the bearing, I'd expect it to be relatively easily replaceable with a standard bearing. Can't see them making a special unrepairable bearing assembly unless they want to be really mean :evil:

Of course, if you want a really reliable machine, go for one of the 30+ year old pale green Hayters! They are totally bomb-proof, with a proper chain drive.

Back