Homemade router table and fence help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":vwo9xys9 said:
These things are always over designed. You need a surface of some description, a movable fence, a hole through the table, and not much else. You fix the base of the router to the table with any old bit of something that holds it securely. Here's mine:

7coIrsA.jpg

Ignore the lift mechanism for a moment, and look at the method of attaching the router base to the underside of the old drawing board:

pBuBugH.jpg

Six scraps of off cut screwed into the board hold the base tight. The base of the router is let into the underside of the board, and that's a good first job for your new tool, with a straight cutter. Anything more than that is a bonus, and that includes the lift mechanism. My other one has a wooden frame and a bit of threaded rod for height adjustment. This one has a steel frame. Scrap stuff which works every bit as well as any bought router table, for pennies. Don't waste your wood money on tools.

Cheers for posting that Mike. I was intrigued by your set up from your stair thread. This thread has me convinced to sort a table out now.
Consider most of that design ... 'extrapolated'.
:wink:

And then there is this: https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+power-too ... naEALw_wcB motor included with lift, variable speed and No volt release, fence is pretty useless, but the addition of the Axminster compact router table fence compensates for that, I did exactly that as a second string table and it works fine, could be a good starting point.
Hi, is this the fence you purchased? Did u have any issues attaching it to the ruthlands table?

I actually have the Lumberjack version of that table, There is no link to the fence in your post? This is what I fitted: UJK Compact Router Table Fence fixed with countersunk bolts, the table top needs countersinking and spacers used to position the rails correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:
KeenDIYer
this is mine, cost less than a 100euro's.....it's sitting on a euro pallet...1.2m long for a size comp......
has independant adj fences, a dust port and has a very secure 3hp Hitachi router hanging off it....
some would say it's poo but for me it does the job....gets chucked in the back of the van quite often and when not used, being ally it sits on a shelf quite happily......on site I can easily cock up extra supports for the longer architraves if needed....and it's help me over the years to earn a v/good living.....
I'd love a huge dedicated table but untill now everything has to be moveable.....
with a bit of a design trick MikeG's could be made to flip under the bench but I prefer free standing tooling where poss....

take a look at this for storage ideas.....this is a talented young fella....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epjZnf7e1Ak&t=4s

and besides there to much stuff stored under my benches.....oh, and one of my benches weighs in at over 1/2 ton....!!!!
speaking of which they get moved around quite a bit with either a pallet truck of the forklift....
for u and ur router bench
spend ur money take ur choice.....but most of all enjoy it.......
IMG_5867.jpeg

Hi

Well if you have started to venture into routing then you now have two examples at the extremities of what can be done, MikeG with the homemade barebones approach and MikeK who has built a router table setup that would not look out of place at NASSA. So you will probably want to fall somewhere in between but it really does depend on your budget. If you search these forums there are a few discussions on this topic and a lot of good information.

I actually have the Lumberjack version of that table, There is no link to the fence in your post? This is what I fitted: UJK Compact Router Table Fence fixed with countersunk bolts, the table top needs countersinking and spacers used to position the rails correctly.
Hi
Could you provide details (couple of pics perhaps) of how you’ve done this and what it looks like? I’m thinking of doin* the same after seeing comments on here and started a thread asking for details but haven’t had replies. I’d like to try the UJK fence on my Lumberjack. Thanks

Hi
many thanks - pictures are worth several thousand words! I now know how you've done it so that's a great help. I assume the rails are those supplied with UJK Professional Router Table Fence
Yes the rails come with the Fence, the only additional things you need are the C/Snk bolts, nuts and spacers.

You will also need a decent countersink, the top is thick enough, but it needs to be accurate, I laid the rails on the top upside-down to mark the position of the holes, lateral position is dictated by the rail itself. Hope it goes well.

Last edited:
Back