• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted Homemade marking knives

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billw

The Tattooed One
Reaction score
I know it's possible to buy these things but there's something much more pleasurable about using a knife that's been made by a craftsman rather than a company. I need 3 so if someone on here makes them and can give me a price then great :)

Do you not fancy making them yourself? They are not bad as a starter project for a bit of metalwork and I would think you could make all 3 in an hour or two

Do you not fancy making them yourself? They are not bad as a starter project for a bit of metalwork and I would think you could make all 3 in an hour or two

Never done metalwork, no way of turning anything :) I can barely do straight lines properly :LOL:

The metal work is limited to grinding a primary bevel and then honing it, like you would a chisel and then heat treating the end which is so easy I managed it. Make it easy on yourself and buy the steel in the correct size (eBay)

No need to turn the handle, epoxy or pin a piece of flat wood to each side of the metal and shape afterwards with a sander, rasp, whatever you have.

You know that you want to...

Edit : heat treating small items is easy enough. I haven't done anything as big as a plane blade or full knife blade

I made one. I used the steel from an old table knife then added and shaped a couple of bits of wood for a handle. Nothing difficult about it in theory but i was disappointed with the result. I don't use it.

Only a fiver. No craft skill needed. Why 3 are you going in for knife throwing? One's enough for most purposes.
n.b. they aren't for "marking" as such they are for cutting the few lines which need to be cut such as shoulders, or lines which need to be indelible such as started by the setter-outer to be finished by the bench hand.
Pencils are for marking.
https://www.thesafetysupplycompany....handle-marking-knife---180mm---si-427567.html

I remember a ground, broken, hacksaw blade with a masking tape handle, particularly good for marking dovetail pins from the tails.

I made one out an old planer blade, as its good steel and can produce a fine strong edge. Not the best example and no thought beyond gluing a bit of ash to it.

Be nice to see some examples

Ye Gods!

1. I don't want to make something
2. I want something that someone's put some craftsmanship into
3. I want three because then I'll have pretty much a lifetime supply and because I'm bound to lose, break, whatever at least one
4. Does anyone make them? Anyone? :LOL:

ps those square designs look awful.

ps those square designs look awful.
But they work really well. You need a sturdy handle and stiff blade to deep score a line. With it you can also take out a v for a saw-cut, if that's what you are doing.
There's a big fashion for fancy knives - scalpelly things hinting at "careful surgery done by experts":rolleyes: but not necessarily of much use.
PS the best marker for DTs is a very thin square ended craft knife which you press in direct, and tap with a little hammer if you want to. No scoring or slicing - which is where they go wrong

Last edited:
I began marking marking knives a good many years ago. In a way, I see it as a rite of passage for woodworkers.

In 2009 I designed and made special marking knives for detail work and dovetails. The article how to do so is here:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/A Knife for Marking Dovetails.html
A%20Knife%20for%20Marking%20Dovetails_html_m3f16fde1.jpg

Knivesfor-Michael-Connor.jpg

I made many, mainly as gifts.

About 6 or 7 years ago, Chris Vesper (best toolmaker around?!) asked if he could produce them under his name. Chris is a good mate, and it was quite a compliment. He now makes these (I have no financial link) ...

Vesperat-WIA1.jpg

You can, of course, make your own. See my link above ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

I began marking marking knives a good many years ago. In a way, I see it as a rite of passage for woodworkers.

In 2009 I designed and made special marking knives for detail work and dovetails. The article how to do so is here:

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/A Knife for Marking Dovetails.html
A%20Knife%20for%20Marking%20Dovetails_html_m3f16fde1.jpg

Knivesfor-Michael-Connor.jpg

I made many, mainly as gifts.

About 6 or 7 years ago, Chris Vesper (best toolmaker around?!) asked if he could produce them under his name. Chris is a good mate, and it was quite a compliment. He now makes these (I have no financial link) ...

Vesperat-WIA1.jpg

You can, of course, make your own. See my link above ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
Looks like you ripped off my great great grandfathers design ;) This is one that he made close to 100 years ago. It still works great today. He was a bit slap dash with his name stamp. He put it on everything and didn't seem to mind if it was crooked.
IMG_1873.jpeg

I've made a couple of different marking gauges and knives as well so keeping up the family traditions :)

I use a small local firm for my marking knifes. they've been around for years and still produce in the UK. they make some of the nicest marking knifes I've ever had the privilege to cut with and I know for a fact that they are used by some of the most accurate and highly skilled people in the world.

they have gotten a wee bit bigger since they started out but I won't begrudge them that.

oh the name of the company?

Swann-Morton of Sheffield, I reckon if they keep up their good work they could take over the field and be considered as the "go to" small sharp knife and blade maker across the entire globe.

I made one, only to discover that you can buy them on amazon and friends for peanuts. MikeG (who no longer posts here) uses old kitchen knives - I believe kitchen devil was his preferred choice, but anything will do. I may have also done the same (carpy little paring knife with the cheapest plastic handle, but wickedly sharp once honed and very ergonomic).

One of the nicest example I have seen was on this year's secret santa thread...https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/2020-secret-santa-and-were-off.121855/page-10#post-1420823

Could that be where you got the idea? Perhaps the secret manufacturer would send you a pm?

Back