Home vacuum advice please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am another happy Henry user. I used mine on site work, chasing walls, sanding, drilling and general cleaning. It must be over 10 years old now and being two speed I have replaced the switch and control board once but I think the speed control is going again.
It has an easier life now I have retired. Bought a refurbished one for my daughter's house and that is working well.

I'm looking at something like this, just because its very cheap;
I have one of these, it's brilliant. I've had it for years. I got it because it was cheap as well. I like the filter, it can be cleaned easily. I just blow it through with high pressure air, It's made from material similar to breathable membrane. The filter is really durable. The machine is noisy, it hasn't great capacity, tools are a bit rubbish, but for £30 it will do you a while. For water, you remove the large filter and just leave the foam one inside. I use mine on my table saw without a cyclone. it handles it well and when full is very easy to empty.
If fine dust filtering is critical for you, I have no idea how good the filter is for very fine dust, I wear a mask most of the time.

I have just retired after 41 years as a self-employed cabinet maker. I have to agree with all the Henry advocates on here. I’ve never used anything else except an industrial Numatic, which was like a Henry on steroids. It often made a tool or two disappear from my workbench. Great vacuums which simply suck !!

Attachments

• FACEFA02-35C6-497E-AD29-79C90061E809.jpeg
    FACEFA02-35C6-497E-AD29-79C90061E809.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 13
I've not tried it and it's not a DIY option, but I've been looking at the Cen-Tec Henry Hose that has the quick change power tool adapters. They sell a range of different adapters other than the two that come with and the hose can be bought in up to 9m lengths

Sean

I have the long Cen-Tec hose and find that it works pretty well on my NV750. The quick change adapters are robust and work well and will fit most tools. As the tubing is ribbed and semi flexible, the whole system isn't up to the quality of Festool anti static (which I also have) but its a whole lot cheaper.

I'm also a fan of Numatic (Henry) - a great British success (and we need a few of them these days)

Had my Henry for about 6 years but I wasn't its first owner, Double glazing company in the unit next to mine at the time threw it in the skip because one of the castors had broken, I fished it out & have been using it ever since, still haven't got round to fixing the wheel but it works just as well without it lol
That’s how we came by our Henry! Since then it’s survived three years of boat renovation being daily stuck into the dust ports of various woodworking machines. Still going strong.
The two speed circuit panel went wrong but you can just chuck it away and rewire as single.
Now have Dyson cordless for domestic use but also a cordless Vytronix Dyson clone - a refurb from Direct-Vacuums (good bunch we’ve used before) - which was less than £50 and is really just as good.

I have fixed hundreds of Henry's over the years. the 2 speed are very unreliable as the have an open circuit board. the single speed are bullet. the 2 speed can be fixed but require a slightly larger motor( usually just bypass the circuit board so it was single speed)
Our 2 speed only works on the high speed and has been like that for a long time. Just glad it's the higher speed and not the slow.

And Numatic is a British company too, so they're worth supporting. They are also very generous with technical information over the phone when things eventually wear out.

£50 0ff today Home The Home of the Henry Vacuum

Thanks for posting that link @Adam W. I've now gone and bought one from the site. I saw an mention in one of the daily papers that it was on offer from another site with £50 off and sort of dithered a bit. Reading the comments here - and having had to do the wife a favour of vacuuming this morning - I felt I needed the extra suck in the workshop 😎

Hi everyone.
I know that its not ideal, but I have just moved into a victorian terrace that requires some 'tender care';
I'm going to be working in the house whilst also living there.
There isnt a workshop, shed, or anything like that sadly.
I'm looking at something like this, just because its very cheap;
Performance Power K-402/12 Corded Wet & dry vacuum, 15.00L | DIY at B&Q
has anyone got any experience of using something similar?
I'll be using it for track saw, router and sanding work.
Thanking you all in advance!
Rich
Looks very good value and bag shaped filters offer a lot of filter area. The quality of the material of that filter and the seals are key as well as the motor. I'd say give it a try if they offer a satisfaction guarantee. But on second thoughts, the hose looks too short to use with a rail-saw.

The quality of the material of that filter and the seals are key as well as the motor
I have one, the filter is really tough and the seal is part of the filter. I have had my machine for a few years and the filter is still fine, however I don't think you can't actually buy a replacement you would need to buy paper replacements from somewhere like here and retain the rubber seal off the original filter. Something for the OP to be aware of.

Henry the King of vacuum cleaners all the way, here's one ( hiding)
He was thrown out of a gym that I was rewiring and I retrieved him from a skip.

Two speed and my wife and I have another two speed Henry indoors. I ordered a new one last month or so for a customer who doesn't use the internet because I couldn't buy one locally.

The one I ordered is a modern single speed, I read up and it was the eu who demanded that vacuums should not have the extra power.
I further read about the Henry designers making a few tweaks to keep the suction of the modern " greener" Henry at a very good er,.suction.

Wife got the eye rolls at my internet investigation of Henry developments and history 🙄😁.
20211024_093605.jpg

The rest of the cluttered cave. Sorry for a diversion, maybe you enjoy pics ?
If not please delete. Firewood dominates in the cave unfortunately.
I don't put much on here, I'm usually working with brass/ fixing toys/ only a bit of woodwork.

The Henry, for my customer friend, arrived in less than 24 hours. Not bad, £120 if I remember, which was the price quite a few years ago too.

I was surprised our local hardware shop didn't stock them. Folks on here saying that they have the dual button one - you own one that will probably never be made anymore.

Kind regards, g' night.View attachment 122912

I've not tried it and it's not a DIY option, but I've been looking at the Cen-Tec Henry Hose that has the quick change power tool adapters. They sell a range of different adapters other than the two that come with and the hose can be bought in up to 9m lengths

Sean
I use their adaptors, paired with Neutrik Powercon plugs, and power take off leads, for all my power tools. I have an old Kirby vacuum paired up with a Fein dust seperator one end of the workshop, and a Henry/Fein combination the other. The kirby is noisy but very powerful - if you can find a cheap one on Fleabay, it works well.

Henry it is then!!
HUGE thanks for all of your comments; Its very much appreciated.

Mine came a coupleof days ago. On opening I found it's a slightly smaller version with one speed... unlike "old" Henry 😊 The wife was delighted and immediately claimed it for home use - so I now have Old Henry in the workshop. Certainly more suction than the Lidl Ash vac I'd been trying out on a cyclone setup.

donate your old dyson to your local hospital where it will be transformed into a ventilator for covid patients.

reports say that users then pick up nicely..............

Back