Home vacuum advice please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I know that its not ideal, but I have just moved into a victorian terrace that requires some 'tender care';
I'm going to be working in the house whilst also living there.
There isnt a workshop, shed, or anything like that sadly.
I'm looking at something like this, just because its very cheap;
Performance Power K-402/12 Corded Wet & dry vacuum, 15.00L | DIY at B&Q
has anyone got any experience of using something similar?
I'll be using it for track saw, router and sanding work.
Thanking you all in advance!
Rich

Not wet and dry, but my Henry hoover has survived a full house renovation, endless DIY projects and is now in my garage sucking up sawdust. More expensive than the one you posted but rock solid and parts, both official and 3rd party, are readily available and cheap

Sean

Not wet and dry, but my Henry hoover has survived a full house renovation, endless DIY projects and is now in my garage sucking up sawdust. More expensive than the one you posted but rock solid and parts, both official and 3rd party, are readily available and cheap

Sean
And when it eventually gives up the motors are readily available for about £60. I replaced one last year.

I have fixed hundreds of Henry's over the years. the 2 speed are very unreliable as the have an open circuit board. the single speed are bullet. the 2 speed can be fixed but require a slightly larger motor( usually just bypass the circuit board so it was single speed)

A quiet hoover like the henry can be pimped by using it with a barrel and a dust commander or similar plastic cyclone. That will give you a bigger dust bucket when you need it.

A henry is good for tracksaw and router. When you sand, actually very little air makes it through the sysyem because the work obscures the holes in the sander baseplate. Ordinary vacuums can overheat after 15 to 20 minutes use. For sanding, the trick is to have a leaky system so enough air always gets through to cool the motor. Or get a better quality extractor with a so called bypass motor. These have a separate air inlet for the air that cools the motor instead of relying on the (hot) air that has been pulled up the hose and through the dust bag before being used to cool the motor.
Old low noise commercial vacuums like a numatic gd930 or a karcher T210 make even better shop vacuums than a Henry because they have v good motors, are even quieter and have bigger dust bags, but they also don't have bypass motors so take care not to overheat them if used for sanding.

Some years back I did 4 days at numatic. I got the sack as I kept putting the smiles upside down! 🙂🙃🙂🙃

Whist there i worked a few metres away from a rather nasty polish bloke that murdered a beautiful young lady a few years later....

Adidat

I have owned a few of those cheap B and Q vacuums and we have a lidl one at home.
They are perfectly functional but horrible in every other way, very noisy with a nasty pitch, short wires made of nasty plastic non flexible flex, rubbish hoses and fittings which are also poorly designed, the filters take up an extraordinary amount of the space inside them and the bags are paper and will rip when you take them out or even sometimes when you put them in.
In contrast my festool is 10 years old at least and performs as well as ever (I know they are very expensive) , I know of many numatics (henrys and others) that have been in service for equal if not more time.
The design of the numatics is much better than the cheap and nasty stuff and you can get the cloth filter bags which offer better filtration, they are well supported with spares and accessories as well which is an issue with others.

A cyclone will save you money on bags.

Olle

I always put a lot of stock in how often you see cleaners using a henry, I'd say 3 times out of 4 the vacuum they are using is red and smiley.

I'm sure there must be a black friday deal somewhere that makes one an affordable option (though I doubt it will be £30)

Had my Henry for about 6 years but I wasn't its first owner, Double glazing company in the unit next to mine at the time threw it in the skip because one of the castors had broken, I fished it out & have been using it ever since, still haven't got round to fixing the wheel but it works just as well without it lol

Ive got a george for site use. Lots of power but sounds like an aircraft taking off if you are in an enclosed area 😆 at least it reminds me to put on ear defenders

Another for Henry. Our original is now 38 years old. It is in perfect working order and only found it's way onto my radial arm saw a couple of years ago when I was gifted a new one by elderly mother.
I've ran a metal bodied Numatic in the workshop for over 30 years with a power tool switchable head. I upgraded the motor on it about 10 years ago, although the original was still working perfectly. It has done several full house renovations and given many years of service on a "work" basis. It runs without bags but I use a fine filter on the head unit.

Colin

the one you posted the link to doesnt seem to be very big in terms of capacity. I take that back as just checked and henries are 6L

another +1 for henry and family

I have a Henry that is upwards of 35 years old. It started life cleaning up in my parents pub. When they retired it became my home vac. It has now retired and has become my main dust extractor in the garage. I replaced the filter for a hepa version and it performs surprisingly well.

I've got a couple of Henry's as well. Is there a DIY hack for making/using a better hose as I find the length isn't long enough. I've used a festool and the hose is so much better

Is there a DIY hack for making/using a better hose as I find the length isn't long enough
I've not tried it and it's not a DIY option, but I've been looking at the Cen-Tec Henry Hose that has the quick change power tool adapters. They sell a range of different adapters other than the two that come with and the hose can be bought in up to 9m lengths

Sean

Latest posts

Back