Home schooling, not just for kids!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
So I am at home with the kids today for obvious reasons.

My 7 year old looked up his school work online. I asked what he had to do " Oh first we have to write six examples of a subordinate clause." :shock:

I now know what a subordinate clause is (might have forgotten by tomorrow), I can see I will be learning a lot over the next few months :D

I'm not going to say what winter festive image came into my head. :|

What are people doing for learning aids. Key stage books? My kids school has been scant with regards to this to say the least, caught like everyone else by surprise. I'm not complaining just looking at options.

I doubt i could have spelt subordinate at the age of seven!!
Why are they filling kids heads with this carp!

No wonder the ones who are not well supported from home, switch off learning.

The advantage of being old is that I can look up what a subordinate clause is, then immediately understand that knowing what it is adds nothing to my life.

Bm101":o961azqo said:
I'm not going to say what winter festive image came into my head. :|

What are people doing for learning aids. Key stage books? My kids school has been scant with regards to this to say the least, caught like everyone else by surprise. I'm not complaining just looking at options.

our school has been quite good. in fact, credit to them, very good in the time they had to prepare. How old are the kids, Chris?

School have promised to send various links to online resources too today (I think), so I can forward these when they come.

lurker":3j1ks6o8 said:

Because it's far easier to make a promise as a politician than fulfil it as a teacher.

Thanks Marc. Appreciated.
6 and 9. The school is good generally and I'm sure they will catch up soon with advice and information. The headmistress lives opposite us. So I could always pop in tonight. I'm sure that would cheer her right up. :D

All our schoolwork is in Greek, which doesn't help at all. Even more annoying is that the maths symbols are different, and they use commas instead of points and vice versa.

As for Greek grammar - just no. I leave that to the management - above my pay grade.

Cheers Chris. I know the Beeb has its detractors but I'm not one generally. We've been updated this afternoon about various things to get on with. Going to be more upheaval, the big thing is to keep looking at it in as positive light as possible as an opportunity. And take deep breaths lol.

this is another that we have been recommended https://www.twinkl.co.uk I think it was chargeable but is now free

the other one that I use, and my daughter has used is duolingo for languages. I am a big fan of that one and she liked it too.

Something I've been thinking and reading a bit about online - most important is that the kids feel safe, and that they settle into a new routine. My kids are both doing some homework in the mornings. Afternoons I'm trying to get them involved in making or at least doing something productive. Each day, some exercise, makes you feel good and important in the longer term. Eating together at the table - not easy in my house, but it punctuates the day and we talk more.
tbh I don't care that much about the school work apart from it giving structure to their days and it challenges their minds a bit. They probably get more done in two or three hours at home then in a day at school.
Make them feel safe and busy. And hopefully healthy. That's what I reckon.

lurker":3rnuw5u5 said:

It was ever thus I fear...

Chris152":3khbhe35 said:
Something I've been thinking and reading a bit about online - most important is that the kids feel safe, and that they settle into a new routine. My kids are both doing some homework in the mornings. Afternoons I'm trying to get them involved in making or at least doing something productive. Each day, some exercise, makes you feel good and important in the longer term. Eating together at the table - not easy in my house, but it punctuates the day and we talk more.
tbh I don't care that much about the school work apart from it giving structure to their days and it challenges their minds a bit. They probably get more done in two or three hours at home then in a day at school.
Make them feel safe and busy. And hopefully healthy. That's what I reckon.
Wise words Chris.
Being fairly tentative with the kids as we/I try to fathom their general state of wellbeing health etc. I'm no delicate modern ultra parent but it's a huge move for all the kids and while we may have more to worry about in our minds for them it's just as real.
My lad (9) misses gassing with his pals. He gets a bit extra time on fortnite now because hes talking with his mates. That has to be healthy.
I'm talking to him about doing a proper project down the shed. Teaching them both to cook a bit. Get involved. Be aware of changes in food availability etc. Trying to keep them alert and switched on. Walking out the woods out the back in the afternoons so far. Circadian rhythms. Any rhythms. Safe and secure.
Positive change and outlook. I'm foookin knackered already tbh!
Wonder if the net future outcome of this might be a reappraisal of ecological and economic practices. Yeh. Maybe not.
In the mean time I have this nagging idea that I should take this extra time with my kids as a free reward! A blessing. I don't use the word blessing normally it has to be said. :|

Bm101":2wku6c9g said:
My lad (9) misses gassing with his pals. He gets a bit extra time on fortnite now because hes talking with his mates. That has to be healthy.

In the mean time I have this nagging idea that I should take this extra time with my kids as a free reward! A blessing. I don't use the word blessing normally it has to be said. :|

Nothing wrong with a bit of Fortnite, my boys play it with their mates, gaming is very social these days. I'm so jealous watching them when they have a squad win with some friends, really brings them together, especially now they can't see each other.

I feel lucky to have this time with my boys (10 yr & 7 yr old), just me and them together at home all the time for the next few weeks (months?), will never get this chance again.

world-geography-games.com
app.bedrocklearning.org
purple mash.com
ttrockstars.com

These are good learning sites to use on top of what they've been given from school.

PE with Joe live on Youtube is good too so the kids don't end up like a tub of lard at the end of all this....

I'm settling into it tbh. I like it. I love having my kids all day. It's very challenging. Unfortunately I have to go back to work next week. My boss has bills to pay. (W@:k÷r) he could furlough me and has a tax break to see him through so it must be tough for him to expose me and my family to risk. I forget nothing.
Till then we made bullroarers this afternoon to have a break.
Brilliant.

fUKbGUt.jpg

Back