Home made wet room tray

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quintain

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone got advice on how I can put in a purpose/home made wet room floor or a shower tray in my 1840s UK house rather than paying many £100s for it. Size of tray about 30" wide and 8' long (750mm x 2.4m) but can be altered to suit materials and best practice.
It will sit at ground floor level onto 6" x 1" (150 x 25mm) butt jointed floorboards which are supported by 7 " x 2" (175 x 50mm) joists which are just above ground/dirt level.
It will be located in a corner of a room adjacent to plastered stone walls.
Space allows 1 1/2" or 2" drain pipe run of about 10ft (3m) to outside wall.
I am imagining a tile floor with shower wall boards but I am interested in all ideas.

Please forgive me for picking your brains on this matter.

Although I’ve done a multitude of showers I’ve never done a wet room as such due the majority being on the 1st or second floor : for that reason I’d go with a shower tray of a suitable size for your needs . I would tile the floor 1st using the appropriate adhesive for a wooden floor ( 12 mm ply over the existing flooring) unless it’s sound and solid ( good condition etc) screwed every 12-14 inches- take care to check for existing pipes and cables. You will probably need to prime the plywood prior to laying tiles- Most showers run of a 1.1/2 waste pipe so make allowance for this . Tile the floor and grout it 24/48 hrs after laying tiles . Install shower tray on a raised platform ( so you can access the trap for maintenance) -as for the walls if again the plaster is in sound condition I would again prime the walls with a suitable primer ( not Pva) then tile walls using water proof adhesive/ waterproof grout install shower cubicle/ shower and your done . You will have a shower that you can maintain and should give you years of service. One final point is if you are in a hard water area then consider fitting a ( whole house ) lime scale reducer.. hope this is of use to your project.😊😊

Latest posts

Back