Home Made Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Taking inspiration from Phil Pascoe, I made some tools a while ago.

They are not pretty but function pretty well. The scraper was for the first bowl I made as I couldn't get a good finish off the gouge. It saved from a lot of sanding.
Speaking of sanding, the bowl sander came later and was a copy off a YouTube video. It works ok but I'm going to buy a 'proper' one in the future.

The beading tool is a bit too big (in my opinion).
My main regrets:
1. using pipe couplers (its all I had). I should have, at least, polished them. But, at the time, I just wanted to get them made and wasn't bothered about aesthetics. It irks me a bit now.
2. The handle ends could/ should have been finished better. Again, same as reason 1..rushed.
3. Bowl sander handle is a bit chunky.

Having said all the negatives, I do enjoy using the scraper and they've all served a purpose.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 131
Tools are made to be used so they only need to look decent. Making them look perfect only means that valuable time was not spent using the tools to work wood.

Yours look more than decent.

Well done!

Your bowl sander looks much fancier than mine, based on an old caster on a 'stick'. Before you buy a new one maybe try a minor modification. After a bit of trial and error, I stuck some foam rubber (as it happens, a couple of layers of an old mouse mat) to the spinner, then the velcro. That makes it easier to get the edge to conform to the shape and it spins a lot better.

Thank you Richard. I forgot to mention, the sanding pad is the only thing that isn't home made (its an Axminster product) but I'll try your idea.

Received a nice package today from Phil Pascoe. Very kind and I'll put them to good use.
Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_0234.jpg
    IMG_0234.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 35
Thanks Democritus.

I got the hss from Amazon. My sister has a prime account so I take advantage of that free delivery whenever possible. I think it was £12 for the scraper and £9 for the parting tool.

Latest addition, using the supplies Phil Pascoe sent me (thanks again). This was attempt number 2 (hence the grubby looking ferrule). I won't go into why as its a bit embarrassing :).The reason is in the 'stupidest things in woodwork' thread if anyones interested.

Its had a bit of use, making some apple stalks and it was pretty nice. Not as catchy as I was expecting.

Attachments

• IMG_0279.jpg
    IMG_0279.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 12
Back