Home made Tipped tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a safe idea. Files are hard and brittle, and can òften have micro fractures in them, which is not a problem as files don't take shock loads. Unless you plan to heat treat and temper them i wouldn't do it. If you don't, you run a high risk off the file breaking or shattering into pieces when you get a catch, resulting in shrapnel pieces from the breakage.
Thank you for the advice, I'll take it. I remember now that we used heat treatment. I had colleagues and a technician who were engineers, who were only too happy to ensure things were done properly. Sadly a long time ago and they are no longer with us.

Hi,

Well done Cooper a credit to you and now you've got three excellent tools to play with. Thanks for sharing. (y)

Thanks - I have a handful of metalworking carbide tips (failed qc at work, but fine) - will try those -- not a high output turner, but still.

I too have lots of industrial TC tips for metal lathe work but if these are to be used they would need re-sharpening to a different angle; TC tips meant for woodturning are totally different regarding angles.

A few years ago I made an high speed diamond hone using a cheap router fitted with a diamond cup wheel;

https://www.rdgtools.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?WD=wheel diamond&PN=DIAMOND-GRINDING-WHEEL-100MM-BOWL-TYPE-354213.html#SID=164

I have a metal turning lathe so it was easy to make the adaptor; these diamond wheels need to be run at high speed with low pressure; the router on lowest setting is rated too fast but so far no problems and it does a good job of sharpening my tipped tooling.

Diamond hone._0001.JPG

My home made high speed diamond hone.

What an elegant solution to mounting the triangular tip Cooper I'm impressed. I too made three such tipped tools recently but I brazed the triangular tip it being an easy job for me.

Kind regards, Colin.

Back