Home made Tipped tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooper

Established Member
Reaction score
I have recently made 3 tipped tools from purchased tips (5 for £15) and materials lurking in my shed. I am so delighted with them I'd like to share them with you.
Today I have had the most fun in ages. I was given several pieces of pear tree a few years ago but had no use for them at the time and stacked then in the yard. I noticed them yesterday and thought they would be badly cracked but they looked OK. I sawed off several lengths about 45cm and have prepared them as blanks of projects. I thought I'd rough them with a tipped tool and true them with the skew. That was until I snagged the skew on a knot. I switched to the tip I call the curved square and "whistled" through it. I achieved a far better finish that I could have with the skew. I intended only to do one today but had so much fun being showered in bark and woodlice in the end I prepared 4.
The tools are nothing to write home about, as I'm no sort of metal worker and all the materials were bits of scrap. However I'm please with my £3 pound tools.

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 138
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 144
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 130
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 104
Three tools for less than £10.00 absolutly brilliant.

There is something nice about making your own equipment, you will get a buzz out of these every time you pick them up. (y) (y) (y)

I love the retaining clip that you made for the pointy tipped piece. Its the best home made system I have seen for this type - well done, really joined up thinking.

Everything about them is nice - are they Oak handles?

Toodlepip

Yes Oak, rails from an old extendable table I was given. The legs ended up as croquet balls and oversize egg cups for wooden Easters eggs.
Cheers
Martin

I should have added ferrules scrap 28mm copper pipe from a piece of old plumbing.
Martin

I had mine made by someone else and although they are great and very easy to use (y)I applaud and to be honest envy your abilities . 3 for a Tenner and that nifty retaining clip to boot :)

I've done similar carbide tipped tools also. But I like scrapers, so have made the tool below. I now have 5 hss blanks, each double ended, traditional grind one end and negative grind on other end, also box scraper end too.
One handle, with insert screw, allen bolt, steel feral and some oak. Blanks off ebay, about £18 for five.
So thats 10 scrapers for under £20. They got made back in June 2020.
20200610_190550.jpg20200610_190503.jpg20200610_190230.jpg20200610_190336.jpg20200610_190321.jpg

Are these tungsten carbide tips?
Yes from Ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moligh-D...087855?hash=item56f0ea816f:g:8ZcAAOSwzJFf6hQO
I'm really impressed by them, I use spindle gouges and scrapers in the normal course of things and with all the turning I did today I would have been regularly at the grinding wheel or working with the slip stone to keep a good edge. At first I used the round cutter just like a scraper and it left a similar surface. As I mentioned I then switched to the curved square and as I worked along the wood the corner began the cut and the edge worked much more like the cut from a gouge taking fine shavings and leaving a really smooth finish.
At that price and for the cost of a bit of mild steel bar, I ashamed I hadn't done it sooner. I realised I could do it after reading a posting from Fester who had made some.
Worth having a go.
Cheers
Martin

Thanks - I have a handful of metalworking carbide tips (failed qc at work, but fine) - will try those -- not a high output turner, but still.

Hi Cooper, I made very similar tungsten carbide tools a few years ago. I did get one tip from your photos and that is the way you made an additional metal 'vee' to hold the detailing tool in place. Mine just 'wiggled' around a bit, so i'll get around to adapting mine...so thanks. I did look to source the tips, which generally are used in metal lathe work, they are cheaper and may require some re-sharpening to get more appropriate cutting angles.

I've done similar carbide tipped tools also. But I like scrapers, so have made the tool below. I now have 5 hss blanks, each double ended, traditional grind one end and negative grind on other end, also box scraper end too.
One handle, with insert screw, allen bolt, steel feral and some oak. Blanks off ebay, about £18 for five.
So thats 10 scrapers for under £20. They got made back in June 2020.
That's a really interesting approach with exchangeable blades. When you have the blade in place does the head of the allen screw become flush with the handle? I'm not sure what you mean by a negative grind. How does it present to the wood? What sort of pieces do you make? I mostly make toys, though occasionally the odd bowl. Today I made from the pear wood, I posted about yesterday, a Jack in the box egg. All with the new tipped tools.
Cheers
Martin

Attachments

• P1010028.JPG
    P1010028.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 3
That's a really interesting approach with exchangeable blades. When you have the blade in place does the head of the allen screw become flush with the handle? I'm not sure what you mean by a negative grind. How does it present to the wood? What sort of pieces do you make? I mostly make toys, though occasionally the odd bowl. Today I made from the pear wood, I posted about yesterday, a Jack in the box egg. All with the new tipped tools.
Cheers
Martin
Hi,
Yes the bolt does protrude, but I've just picked up some grub screws, so now will not protrude.
I do a lot of bowls and lidded boxes.
The negative grind (negative Rake Scraper) is just a relief grind on the top of the scraper. It allows you to keep scraper level, rather than tipped slightly as on normal scraper, I also find them less aggressive and less likely to catch or pull into the grain.

Negative Rake Scrapers or a bit of a marmmite thing in turning. Some love and some loathe.

Negative Rake Scrapers or a bit of a marmmite thing in turning. Some love and some loathe.
I've not found anyone who has a bad word to say about negative rake scrapers. More likely they are dismissed through a lack of understanding. They are excellent for beginners because they just work & it's very hard to get them to go wrong.

Do you have a link to the Ebay blanks please. I have looked but couldn't find them.

I've not found anyone who has a bad word to say about negative rake scrapers. More likely they are dismissed through a lack of understanding. They are excellent for beginners because they just work & it's very hard to get them to go wrong.

Do you have a link to the Ebay blanks please. I have looked but couldn't find them.
Hi,
Sorry it was June 2019, can't find my old orders, but I've had a scout round and found them on amazon, wow have they gone up in price, I must have hit on a deal. Search amazon or eBay or aliexpress for HSS 200mm x 20mm x 8mm

Amazon price now £7.69 a piece, free delivery on prime.

Still think it's a good buy though.

Hope this helps.

PS, agree with you on neg rake scrapers.

Have you a picture of a negative rake scraper edge? Years ago we used to grind blunt files as scrappers and I have a few useless files in the bottom of a tool box.
Cheers
Martin

Last edited:
Cindy Droza does a good video in neg rake scrapers, here is the link

Have you a picture of a negative rake scraper edge? Years ago we used to grind blunt files as scrappers and I have a few useless files in the bottom of a tool box.
Cheers
Martin
Not a safe idea. Files are hard and brittle, and can òften have micro fractures in them, which is not a problem as files don't take shock loads. Unless you plan to heat treat and temper them i wouldn't do it. If you don't, you run a high risk off the file breaking or shattering into pieces when you get a catch, resulting in shrapnel pieces from the breakage.

Latest posts

Back