Home made router table.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi I am new to this woodworking lark but enjoying it more and more. I have just put some pics on my web site of my first build a router table comments please.

Hi
Looks very good - only one of the pics comes up though.
Does the fence have dust extraction built in? Can't quite make it out from the pic.
What's the top made of? Router tables, for me any way, seem to be the one never ending project. Always seem to be ways to improve them! Depending on the weight of your router, you may get that top sagging - mine is 35 mm (laminated MDF) and still not perfect.
Anyhow looks very impressive - you'll be desperately finding things to rout on it now!
Cheers
Gidon

Hi Mark

Looks just fine. I only had one picture coming up so I couldn't see what was going on behind the fence.

Well done.

Cheers
Neil

Sorry about the pics I think they are all there now (I hope) The top is 19mm MDF with a white hardboard covering. My router is a 1020 wat performance pro from B&Q, I have only started with the cheaper end of market tools to see how I go.

Mark,

It looks like a good start - as Gidon says, they can be a never ending project though!

How will you achieve fine adustment of the fence? (it looks rather short by the way - there is no reason it cannot be as long as the table.

Typically, on a simple fence it helps to fix one end then move the other - so that you only get half the total movement at the bit position. When I used this kind of fence on my old tables, I used a small yachting turnbuckle to help get the fine adjustments I was seeking, it worked like a charm.

Fine adjustment, how fine are we talking? There are MM markings on my router insert. I can put a longer fence in needed, it screws onto the back plate. could anyone tell me if all the pics are showing now, thanks.

Mark,

Good first effort. 3 images showing. Don't worry about the mm markings, just eyeball the cutter and run a few test pieces through.
As another poster mentioned modifications and tweaking will follow in a few days.....

Rgds

Noel

hi Mark

the pics seem fine now... all three came up without a hitch.

thoughts on the table... good first effort, although as has been mentioned by the others, the fence seems a bit short for my liking. only other concern is the length of unsupported span with the top. Hang a router under there permanently, and eventually the top will start to sag under the weight; MDF isn't renound for it's structural strength. have a play with it... figure where the strengths and weaknesses are.. incorporate the good points into the MkII version.....

I hope it brings you as much satisfaction as mine gives me....

Hi Guys Thanks for the input and comments. The router is also supported by 2 pieces of wood running the full length of the table to help with the sagging, so hopefully that will help.

Is the black insert one of those phenolic resin ones? if so, check it for flatness - I've just noticed the one in my axminster table sags slightly under the weight of the router - only by about a mill or so, but enough to give unexpected results when doing fine work. Hopefully your timber bracing of the router is taking some of the weight but worth checking...

m

My insert is a Phenolic one which is from Rutlands, it seems fine at the moment, but has not done a lot of work. I am hoping that it will be ok, the router does not weigh that much, I went for the smaller one in the range.

Got my board from B&Q £3.00 maybe a bit less, just enough to do my router.

Latest posts

Back