Home made Round Tenon Cutters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angusmccoatup

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have been either turning (on pole-lathe) or draw knifing round tenons for stools, chopping blocks and chairs and would really like to have a go at making a cutter or set of cutters. I know there are commercial ones available and some are reasonably priced but I would like have seen a few designs but most have been for tapered tenons and wondered if anyone had made their own and used successfully?

Hi, I made one but I don’t see why it couldn’t be adapted to straight tenons. Instead of a taper all the way through, the hole could be straight apart from a lead-in and the blade shaped accordingly. It took a little bit of adjustment to get the cut right, but I am very pleased with mine.
0C54CFD0-21D1-49C6-9391-8BD013ECFE89.jpeg
B846B213-1263-4A46-B454-9D8DC0256D41.jpeg

While Colin's is very nice, this old thread may lead to something easier to make:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/a-new-bristol-design-of-rounder.82693/
Andy, thank you so much for the follow-up on this, I am dealing with 'things' which prevent me doing the details justice but look forward very much to exploring the options..... I have always felt daunted at the prospect of making tools of this level but yours and Colin's offerings have made me think again!! Contribution much appreciated.... all thanks Angus

While Colin's is very nice, this old thread may lead to something easier to make:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/a-new-bristol-design-of-rounder.82693/
Andy, thank you so much for the follow-up on this, I am dealing with 'things' which prevent me doing the details justice but look forward very much to exploring the options..... I have always felt daun
Hi, I made one but I don’t see why it couldn’t be adapted to straight tenons. Instead of a taper all the way through, the hole could be straight apart from a lead-in and the blade shaped accordingly. It took a little bit of adjustment to get the cut right, but I am very pleased with mine.View attachment 95661View attachment 95663
Colin, thank you so much for sharing the details and pic of your device.... the tenons look just the job and I am inspired to have a go........... your tenons look parallel to me or is it perspective and they are tapered? I have some other 'stuff' to deal with but am excited at the idea of making a tool...... need to look for old plane irons or possibly Spokeshave blades..... thank you again - watch this space (for a while.......!)

Latest posts

Back