Home made rebate plane WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I saw a wooden rebate plane for sale in an antique shop. I made a mental note of how it all went together, and now today I had a chance to have a go at making one. I raided my off-cut pile:

iHtHtxD.jpg

Oops, out of focus. Sorry. It's oak, and looks like the off cut from under an arched brace. I know it's seasoned because:

EWER1eL.jpg

Yeah, it's been drying for almost 7 years. The shape is somewhat fortuitous, and this is another make-it-up-at-the-bench job. I simply cut it to length. The curved shape made securing it flat on the bench quite awkward. I marked out the bed angle (45 degrees.........well, it's a plane, after all). I also marked out the other side of the cut out, against which the wedge will thrust:

n4ixlj2.jpg

I often chisel to a knife line to give be a good edge to work from:

H6vGT8G.jpg

I then cut down slightly away from the line so I could quickly chop out the bulk of the waste with a chisel without fear of damaging the finished edges:

DDYCuFO.jpg

uVR6SUJ.jpg

uVR6SUJ.jpg

Then carefully chisel down the faces:

lVfW7EC.jpg

Note the right hand edge is slightly undercut. The scrap piece was cut to the angle to give me a guide.

Luckily, I just happen to have a router plane, so I cleaned up the bottom with that:

LoV78Wg.jpg

rM2C7TM.jpg

Then a little scallop for the chisel handle:

tmo5ADt.jpg

Here I tried out the roughed-out wedge:

b1BVZxs.jpg

Then it was just a whole lots of shaping and finishing. Remember, the wedge has a skewed top edge so that it locks into the housing rather than flopping out.

bzkhxvz.jpg

I shaped the end of the wedge to act as a sort of chip-breaker, and throw the shavings off to the side (ooh look, blood!):

icOzef9.jpg

The guide is a simple bit of wood screwed to the bottom with slotted holes for screw adjustment. I thought that if it was quite big it would have a good reference when making narrow rebates:

3agAFzR.jpg

0aVYaGh.jpg

5hriegD.jpg

tCRh4oV.jpg

fJQ5GQ7.jpg

spVFWiB.jpg

3PwncwS.jpg

Time to give it a whirl:

fdH4n6g.jpg

Ooops!

I took a bit more off the end of the wedge, and fiddle about with the depth a bit, but got it working really nicely:

vRUPwkA.jpg

Full length full width shavings. Operator error led to a not perfect "wall", but I'll improve. Finally, I drill a hole in it so I could hang it on the wall, and added some Danish Oil (it's only a tool!!):

BHzKb7B.jpg

Brilliant!

Don't you know you can buy them ready made?! :D

(And this could be the perfect justification for having more than one chisel...)

AndyT":3g86l3pg said:
......Don't you know you can buy them ready made?! :D.........

:D I've not made these couple of tools because I particularly need them, (not now anyway), but because I particularly needed some time in the workshop. I looked for a couple of really quick self-contained jobs.

The blue 1/2" chisels appears in both because it isn't part of my bench set, and because it is sharp. I have one or two others which will go in these two tools when they've finished duty on the building site.

Back