home made pipe adaptors?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
I want to reduce the 100 mm iron spiral wound ducting pipe down to 62 mm to accept the blast gates I shall be re-using.
Anyone got a simple and cheap way of making my own? I need 5 of them.

If "wood" will do sunnybob, then I can suggest thick ply, hole saw of nearest ID/ODs and trim up afterwards, ideally with a scroll saw, OR band saw, jig saw, then final shape/size with sanding drum/s.

I've done several like that (but not for metal pipe) and it works fine.

Otherwise, have a search on Youtube for several blokes using heat and PVC plumbing fittings. With self tappers that should work onto metal pipe (I guess).

Same for me.
I typically laminate two thicknesses of 18 or 25mm ply or MDF, rough cut then pop it on the lathe and turn the outside diameter. Sometimes with a gentle taper. Then take out the middle with a holesaw or whatever.

It will have to be wood.
Here in Cyprus they dont "do" rain gutters, and there arent all that many soil pipes either (most houses have deep pits in their gardens).
I've just watched a few utube videos and realised that as usual, I was over thinking this and trying to make something that went over the large pipe and inside the small pipe. :roll:
All I need do is make a wooden "washer" that reduces the inside diameter. I can make it 2" thick so it will hold in the pipe fitting.
Thanks for the offers and help, my brain is now back to normal service. 8) 8)

@sunnybob: " my brain is now back to normal service. 8) 8)"

???? :D

Seriously bob, we all 'ave 'em (days when we over-think). I'm a particularly bad offender in that respect - I'm often half way through a (over-complicated) project when I - or more often SWMBO -comes along and says "when you'd have done that and this , wouldn't it have been MUCH easier?"

(And I have to admit, the A is often "Yes")!

Yesterday I could not find my vernier caliper. Without that, I cant do anything. Its kept in the tool chest drawer with the drills so that i can find it whenever I want it.
I searched every single drawer in my workshop three times. i was heartbroken, not only for sentimental reasons, but shear flabbergasted that I could not find it in a 3m x 5 m workshop that nobody else goes into.

5 minutes later, I walked back to start searching again, and saw it. resting on top of the thicknesser, which rests on top of the drawer its normally kept in. :shock: :shock: :shock:
While looking in the drawer that was 2ft below my eyeline, it had been right in front of me, at 1 foot below my eyeline. :roll: :roll: :roll: I had literally looked PAST it to check the drawer!
Then today I spent 3 hours trying to make this adaptor, (3 hours wasted) when suddenly I knew what to do and have made two of them in 45 minutes.

I'm hoping thats my 24 hours of senior moments for the year. 8) 8)

I always keep offcuts of various sizes of upvc waste pipe. By taking 1" rings of pipe, splitting the ring and trimming out small pieces one piece can be fitted inside another and reducing the bore by twice the wall thickness at a time. until you get to the next size down and so on. A similar technigue can be used to "grow" an outside diameter, fitting a scrap into the gap as needed all secured with solvent weld cement
Common uk pipes are 110mm, 68, 50, 40, 32 and readily available in france is 100mm pipe (I bring back a length when on holiday). Thus it is relatively easy to get from about 125mm down to 25mm or so.

Sadly i dont have that option. I would have to go out and buy 5 metre lengths of each size, which would be prohibitive cost. :roll:

sunnybob":pylxubr8 said:
...Here in Cyprus they dont "do" rain gutters,...
I can understand that :) I've had one visit and on a car journey from Aya Napa to Limassol it started to rain. Within 10 minutes it was absolutely pouring such that the wipers simply couldn't keep up. There must have been 6" of rain in less than 30 minutes.

I was told on returning to the hotel that it had last rained 3 years previously :twisted:

Our rain is like London buses, nothing for ages and then they all come at once. :roll:

We moved here (unknowingly) at the tail end of a 4 year drought. The villages were having their water cut off completely two days every week. The following winter... every reservoir on the island was overflowing.
This winter has been even wetter than that one. My swimming pool has overflowed twice, the first time in after only 4 hours of rain and the level is usually 8" below the top. But the sun is already shining, its 20c by 9 am and i just might pack away my jeans this weekend coming in favour of my shorts 8) 8) 8) 8)

Back