Home made grinding post

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodyturner

Established Member
Reaction score
I made this today for sharpening the Robert sorby tips the table is 5mm thick and so is the bit holder I could probable have got one I think Sorby used to sell something like this but I'm retired and I enjoy making stuff as you can see from one of the last photos I need to get a finer sanding disk for metal but for the moment this is working wonderfully I sharpened 6 tips in no time

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,337
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 1,338
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 1,338
boysie39":331m37wk said:
Nice bit of work there Woody . =D> Saved yourself a right few quid I suspect. Well done

I just enjoy experimenting and it gives me something to do keep the ol grey matter ticking over and as you say saved a few quid why should I give my hard earned cash over to make the rich richer LOL

Very nice. =P~

May I ask what the stem is made from?

Is it attached to the bed using the same method as securing the banjo?

Regards
Robbo

Robbo3":6w22w5ij said:
Very nice. =P~

May I ask what the stem is made from?

Is it attached to the bed using the same method as securing the banjo?

Regards
Robbo
The post is made from aluminium and it is secured in the banjo is the same manner as your tool rest

I'm guessing you mean 90 degrees .... can you adjust your post ... the reason I ask is .... how do you set the bevel angle for the cutter ??

Chris1965":2e6gk6wq said:
I'm guessing you mean 90 degrees .... can you adjust your post ... the reason I ask is .... how do you set the bevel angle for the cutter ??
No adjustment I grind my cutters at that angle and it works for me I just turned a vase with one of the cutters I sharpened on it

I thought that the idea of that Sorby tip was that it could be used in the holder both ways up, therefore the grind should be straight 90 degrees (I cant find the symbol either) or one way won't work.

Terry

CHJ":13z46522 said:
Alt+ 0176 °
Thanks Chas but that didn't work for me, but in word I looked up the code and changed it for one that I can remember. Still don't work here?

Terry

tudormaker":34r351zr said:
CHJ":34r351zr said:
Alt+ 0176 °
Thanks Chas but that didn't work for me, but in word I looked up the code and changed it for one that I can remember. Still don't work here?

Terry

Works on my keyboard, did you use the Number pad?

Back