Home made cole jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisp

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from my home made fingernail jig, I've been meaning to make a set of cole jaws, so with some free time this week here are the results.
912 - Copy.jpg

4 pieces of 5mm thick aluminium, taped squre together with the diameter and segments marked.
914 - Copy.jpg

Cut out on the bandsaw and mounting holes drilled.
917 - Copy.jpg

Fitted to the chuck and turned to clean up the edge.
931 - Copy.jpg

After drilling 120 holes!
925 - Copy.jpg

Solid wood doorstops with a taper turned on the lathe.
930 - Copy.jpg

Adding the mounting hardware.
937 - Copy.jpg

With the buttons fitted.
936 - Copy.jpg

From behind.
934 - Copy.jpg

In use!
I have finished a few bases now and wish I had made it ages ago!
Just over 16" when closed.
Thanks for looking.
Chris.

Attachments

• 912 - Copy.jpg
    912 - Copy.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 3,443
  • 914 - Copy.jpg
    914 - Copy.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3,459
  • 917 - Copy.jpg
    917 - Copy.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 3,463
  • 931 - Copy.jpg
    931 - Copy.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 3,458
  • 925 - Copy.jpg
    925 - Copy.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 3,443
  • 930 - Copy.jpg
    930 - Copy.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 3,441
  • 937 - Copy.jpg
    937 - Copy.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 3,458
  • 936 - Copy.jpg
    936 - Copy.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 3,458
  • 934 - Copy.jpg
    934 - Copy.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 3,460
They look great Chris, but is there really the need for the holes to be so close together? The cole jaws I have aren't as big as yours, bought from Axminster, and the overlap using them on my K8 chuck means that if one setting is to big then the next one down is correct.

Just a thought if you do any more.

They are a bit of kit that when you need them then nowt else will do aren't they. Good job!!

I like the look, and no doubt the function, but will admit that my initial impression regarding the number of holes was in line with John's.

Mine are 3/4" birch ply, and a similar dimension. I also have the same lathe. I'm really close to taking them down in size to enable me to use them over the bed - I don't have dual banjos and it's just one more hassle to set up for turning on the side (fine if you are doing a multiple run though)

As said, clean construction - looks good.

hi chrisp
great looking set of jaws
ive been looking at making a set from 3/4 ply
but yours have put them to shame.
well done
cheers
paul-c

Chrisp

I would not be worried about the hole spacings as Cole jaws
are not designed for high speed
With the amount of adjustment you have ( for holding ) you will not fall foul of some I have seen
were the chuck jaws are about to drop out on one setting or wont hold on the next setting

Cole jaws are only designed for reversing your work to remove the mounting method

even on professionally made units they have a max rpm recommendation

:wink:

paul-c":21hb379q said:
hi chrisp
well done
cheers
paul-c

paul

I would advise not to make these out of ply as its not strong enough and the risk of injury is to great if it lets go

Blister":3j9ulep8 said:
paul-c":3j9ulep8 said:
hi chrisp
well done
cheers
paul-c

paul

I would advise not to make these out of ply as its not strong enough and the risk of injury is to great if it lets go

I've a small set out of MDF and they're perfectly OK. I keep on meaning to make something better but as I only use them occasionally to tidy up a bowl base, or the likes, which is gentle turning, that's a little on the back-burner.

Rob

Very impressive indeed!

I had been looking at the Nova cole jaws, but they are 10" which is a bit restrictive.

Not sure I understand the objection to ply. Is it a concern that the fixings are more likely to work loose?

Cheers

Steve

I have a set made out of MDF which are added on to the cole jaws which extend the dia. from approx. 7" to 12"
maybe a bit more if you are silly. :oops: :oops:

hi blister
thanks for the advice
that is not something i would have considered.
but seeing these made my chrisp has made me think about pricing up some ali plate.
this really is a great forum
thanks all
cheers
paul-c

Steve Blackdog":3jju40b3 said:
Very impressive indeed!

I had been looking at the Nova cole jaws, but they are 10" which is a bit restrictive.

Not sure I understand the objection to ply. Is it a concern that the fixings are more likely to work loose?

Cheers

Steve

Not sure I understand the objection to ply

Steve

Cole Jaws can be used in 2 ways

Clamping down on a exterior surface and expanding into a undercut rim from inside a bowl . both put lots of strain on the small corners of ply that connect to the chuck , then add the weight of the item being turned and the centrifugal force imposed when running at 500 rpm , and KErBOOM !! :shock:

Hi guys,
Thanks for your replies, as Blister said the spacings do give a bigger amount of flexability without using the limits of the chuck, these will only be used at the lathes slowest speed and only to remove the chucking process, also with cuts towards the headstock for safety.
Jon I'm a bit of a magpie and had these lying around the workshop so couldn't give you a price!
Thanks again,
Chris.

Back