home made bowl turning lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmiker

Reaction score
First what great forum and resource! New to the site, and lots to read and think about!
I'm really taken with possibilities for turning bowls, and as such looking around at lathes. What strikes me is that many are long bed with small throw for bowls, very few with a headstock what allows turning on the opposite side.
So, just day dreaming a little at the moment about building a short bed deep throw lathe? Anyone done this already? I cant see myself wanting to turn 24" long turned legs and the like but mixed media material bowls, platters etc seem far more interesting.
Ideas, comments, any kind of feedback really appreciated!
Mike

Something like ,that?

image;s=774x1032

https://www.olx.pl/d/oferta/tokarka-do-drewna-donic-tac-itp-CID628-IDImiXS.html#6837cb7ff5

Last edited:
I'm really taken with possibilities for turning bowls, and as such looking around at lathes. What strikes me is that many are long bed with small throw for bowls, very few with a headstock what allows turning on the opposite side.

Because many have swivelling headstocks to allow for large outboard turning - there's no reason to use the other side of the headstock.

If you think you would enjoy the process of making a bowl lathe, I think it would be a fun project. Lathes that can do big bowls do exist but tend to be bigger and more expensive, either with a swivelling headstock or some older lathes have a lefthanded thread on the opposite (outboard) side of the headstock.

Bear in mind the banjo and toolpost support needs to be solidly made, or you will get vibrations that prevent a smooth surface finish and make it a nasty tool to use.

Have a look at Ray MAKES YouTube channel, he has a play list just on homemade lathes, including a monster bowl lathe.

Nice idea, though you may want to give turning a bit of a go on smaller stuff to see if you do like it. Lots of folk intend to do loads of bowls bit end up on smaller, more intricate items.
That said, if the idea of a self build appeals, crack on and show us the progress!
Remember- big bowls need big power and big lathe weight, esp when first roughing an out of balance lump of wood

Back