Holy Moly what a tip!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded a copy of the American manual for the Jet 60A planer and had a quick skip through it. I noticed they recommend running an oilstone over the blades to hone them..........with the machine running! :shock: I don't think I will be using this method myself. :lol:

lol, if it wasn't you, I'd have said you'd made it up. Wouldn't that more likely either blunt the blade or eat the stone?

Chems":1tz44rdh said:
lol, if it wasn't you, I'd have said you'd made it up. Wouldn't that more likely either blunt the blade or eat the stone?

I expect the tip is to hold the stone one the outfeed table. IIRC David Charlesworth recommends something similair in one of his books, but not with the blade running.

Cheers

Karl

mailee":18d4n488 said:
I just downloaded a copy of the American manual for the Jet 60A planer and had a quick skip through it. I noticed they recommend running an oilstone over the blades to hone them..........with the machine running! :shock: I don't think I will be using this method myself. :lol:

Not only does it sound ludicrously dangerous, but it will sharpen the blade with no relief.

BugBear

That's got me thinking - do any industrial machines have auto-sharpening systems available? The reason being that forage harvesters have auto-sharpening blade systems - with the chopping cylinder turning and engine throttled back, a ram pushes a sharpening stone across the blades. An unfilled niche if no-one else has done it yet!

Back