Holtzapffell & Co saw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bod

Established Member
Reaction score
Last weeks carboot find.
Holtzapffell saw 1.jpg

Found with loose blade, original split nuts would not tighten, but did come out, revealing the blade had damaged one of the saw screws stem.
Two new split nut screws and a de-rust and sharpen, emerged a very nice 10inch Dovetail saw.
Holtzapffell, went out of business in 1922, so this can be no younger than 97 years old.
The question is, as this saw has a Rosewood handle, how much older could it be?
I can find very little on Holtzapffell hand tools, only on turning tools and lathes.
Feels wonderful in the hand, and cuts straight, to full depth.

Bod

Attachments

• Holtzapffell saw 1.jpg
    Holtzapffell saw 1.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 517
The same company who made the wonderful lathes also had a London shop selling the full range of highest quality branded tools, presumably to gentleman woodworkers of the time. I've seen moulding planes with the magic name on.

Even in its rescued condition, the name still attracts a premium. Very nice find!

Beautiful tool Bod. The elegance of the handle is sublime. Cracking find.
Been a funny day for both old saws and coincidence. Like Buses.
Mooching about T'internet falling down the rabbit hole from general interest, never heard of tapered grinding before and read about it twice today. Marvelous.

That handle is beautiful and in amazing condition considering it's age. I have seen a lot of old saws and never one with a rosewood handle...……..but come to think of it I have a Spear and Jackson commemorative panel saw that has, but it isn't as pretty as that by a long way. I bet you were chuffed to find that.

Well well, I thought I had done well spotting this, but I didn't expect this reaction!
A couple of pictures showing the handle better.
IMG_0045.JPG

This one shows the damage to the handle, neither of which can be felt in use.
IMG_0043.JPG

It feels as if there is a lacquer finish to the wood, I feel like sanding it down to bare wood, then letting use polish it up. It's a technique I've used on newer handles, and leaves a wonderfully smooth finish.
But not on this! It will be left as is.

Bod

Attachments

• IMG_0045.JPG
    IMG_0045.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 388
  • IMG_0043.JPG
    IMG_0043.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 388
So there are a few battle scars to the handle, but still a very nice looking saw. I wonder how such a high end saw found it's way to a carboot and has the seller got any other woodworking tools!

It's the same with all old tools, getting past down the generations, Great grandfather bought it, and used it. Grandfather inherited it, because it was fathers, rarely used it, pasted it on to Father, who had no use for it, put it in the shed.
Daughter clearing the shed, has no idea what it is...Luckily carboots are now a better way of getting rid of junk, than a trip to the tip...

Bod
(Who has been to too many carboots!)

That sounds about right. Lots must still end up at the tip as I bought some planes from a guy who had fished them out of the local one over the years. They looked dreadful but most cleaned up well.

That sounds about right. Lots must still end up at the tip as I bought some planes from a guy who had fished them out of the local one over the years. They looked dreadful but most cleaned up well.

By strange coincidence I have an almost identical saw, found a few years ago on ebay.

hotzapffell saw small.JPG

I wonder whether they might've been a promotional gift for their high rolling customers?

Attachments

• hotzapffell saw small.JPG
    hotzapffell saw small.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 255
Back