Hollowing Tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duiker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Its been a while since I've been on but as I had this weekend free I'll be in the shed again! I do need some advice as usual though and know one of you can help!

I bought myself a truly good piece of kit recently and it now needs sharpening. The problem is I'm having to do it a bit "by eye" and I'm sure there must be a better way?

The tool in question is a Pro-Forme from Woodcut and I know some of you have them too so how do you do yours (ooh err)?

Cheers all,

Mick

Duiker-salad_bowl.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks for the interesting link, I'll check it out and let you know how I get on.

As for the comments on my work...... :oops: Thanks people, it means a lot to get feed back from those I consider to be the pro's, not me!

Cheers all,

Mick

i have the proform deep hollowing tool aswell, but have not found the need to sharpen it in several months - limited use admitidly. are you using it on dry, or green wood - this may be the answer to it dulling so quickly. i would suggest using a diamond sharpening 'file' - do not use a grinder - if you mess it up i think woodcut will regrind it for you.
how are you getting on with the tool - it really cuts well but i think you may also need a scraping action tool aswell to get a good finish - the wood cut is pretty agressive. -

Hi Geoff,

The big mistake I made was to use it on a briar root burr. I didn't think it would be full of small stones and it pretty well dulled the blade on its "maiden" piece! I did manage to get it back to OK on the Tormek but its not as good as it was. I didn't know you could send them back to ProForm though? Surely not all the way back to NZ? Where do you send them, is it on their site?

The tool is bloody great though and I use it on dried and green woods at relatively slow speeds. Once I have removed enough wood though I go back to the bowl gouges and sanding sealer to get a reasonable finish before sanding. As you say its a bit "aggressive" for finishing cuts.

Cheers,

Mick

as far as i can remember phil irons in uk might be able to help with the regrind - worth a try.. i think there is also an agent in france and germany.
good luck

Back