Hollowing tools - what would you recommend ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowerTool

Established Member
Reaction score
As I keep thinking about trying a hollow form or two,but would like peoples opinions on what hollowing tool would be a good place to start.
Currently have a 1/2" ring tool,bent multi-tip tool and an undercut scraper (as well as a normal selection of gouges,chisels and scrapers);am becoming more confident with enclosed forms,so what do I need to take the next step ?

Andrew

Hi Andrew. My suggestion would be a Oland tool to begin with. Then if you get more ambitious after making a few hollow forms then you may want to look at the hollowing tools you can buy, but they come at a price, and the pound of flesh.

If you go the route of the Oland you can get tool bits from Chronos for a few bob. The 'bright mild bar' you can get from any steel merchant.

Make two, one as per article, and one with the tool bit at 45deg to the bar. Make a couple of pots. Then if everything is OK make a gooseneck tool with the same tool bits. It is surprising the reach that you can get over the rest because you are only using a small cutting tip.

I also use a ring tool and a sorby bent thingy. I can't really turn anything big on my lathe but if I could this would be my daydream. Mark Hancock let me have a go with his at Yandles once and it is so easy to handle. Bit expensive unless you get serious though

Pete

Thanks for the suggestions and links.
Tam - like the idea of starting with something relatively cheap and being able to add to it.
Pete - it would be nice,but it costs nearly as much as the lathe did.. :lol:

Andrew

Back