Hollowing tool recommendations please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Blackdog

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

I am planning to buy a hollowing tool, but have no idea whether some are better than others and if so which.

I'm all ears :D :D

Steve

It'd probably increase the value of any advice if you could expostulate a little on what you're planning to hollow, large, small, endgrain or not, deep or not, etc.

I've tried virtually all of the hollowing tools around and eventually settled with the Rolly munroe.
I have both of the munroe size tools but use the smaller of the two 5/8" shaft most of the time.
If you've never tried hollowing- dedicated hollowing tools like munroe or sorby etc can be an expensive mistake so I would recommend the oland/ellsworth style which can either be made or bought much cheaper to try hollowing with and see if you like it or not.

cornucopia":31rg6pmy said:
I've tried virtually all of the hollowing tools around and eventually settled with the Rolly munroe.
I have both of the munroe size tools but use the smaller of the two 5/8" shaft most of the time.
If you've never tried hollowing- dedicated hollowing tools like munroe or sorby etc can be an expensive mistake so I would recommend the oland/ellsworth style which can either be made or bought much cheaper to try hollowing with and see if you like it or not.

I've just found this it's Cornucopia Georges site From the tree. but out stock at the mo.
Thanks Spindle for the tip.
Happy new year
Geoff :D

I have a few deep hollowing tools, some bought, some shop made but since buying a Rolly Munroe it has made the others almost redundant.

The cutting action of the Rolly is the best I have ever used. =P~ =P~ =P~

I have both the Rolly Mega and a Woodcut Flexi-forme.

I find that the Rolly is ok for "roughing out" but the Woodcut both roughs-out and finishes with much more finesse and is easier to control.

I hardly ever use the Rolly now unless I am starting a really large end-grain hollowing task (10" or more) where the extra shaft thickness helps reduce vibration but but once roughed I will then switch to the Woodcut to finish.

I have several, (Rolly, Woodcut, Exocet, Sorby RS2000 kit, Keltons (3 sizes) plus some others at the back of the tool draw i'm sure.

Depending on what your making, I think that the Rolly is the most versatile (i'd go for the larger dia shaft first - if your new to hollowing then being able to get through a 12mm opening is interesting but not immediately useful).

Only exception to advice above, is that the tipped tools may be slightly better on dry, hard timbers but it's marginal.

Simon

Latest posts

Back