Hollow-Ground DuoSharp Sharpening

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spot on, thats exactly how I sharpen. I have found it quick and good enough for the timbers I use, how do you find it?

Good, I'm glad I got it right this time! I did indeed find it fast, since just a few minutes of grinding is sufficient for a number of honings, each of which is really fast. The chisel was very smooth through the pine end grain. I'll do a few more chisels this way so I have a working set to spend some time with and use them on a couple of projects.

I've been using that method for just over 10 years. I go from the hand crank straight to a 8,000G waterstone. I find it quick and very simple. The hand crank allows you to creep slowly back up to the edge, without overshooting it. With a power grinder it's probably very easy to overshoot the edge and lose precious metal.

woodbloke":2s1s4g2j said:
In one of JK's books (don't know which one) exactly the same method is shown - Rob

Yes, The Fine Art of Cabinetmaking, which I referenced in the blog post. That's where I got the tool rest.

Or by JK did you mean Jim Kingshott? He shows it in "Sharpening, The Complete Guide".

Back