Hollow and Round sole forming

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my 3d printed sanding blocks worked a treat and I have the sole flat to less than 0.004”, which is the thinnest feeler gauge I can find. I have honed the iron and I’m getting nice thin shavings now. But it’s still not quite right. It is skittering or chattering and still gets stuck from time to time.

I am thinking the next culprit is the bedding of the iron. I can unfortunately get the feeler gauge behind the iron. I guess I’d better go at that next.

Question - the blind side bevel doesn’t go right up to the mouth. I am guessing I need to plane this so it does? Else it will act as a depth stop?

any advice welcome.

Steve
Ran into the same issue as that with the gap under the iron before, albeit not with a molding plane
10.JPG

The fix is easy, (after wild goose chasing other potiental issues, all of which were pointless)
and if I ever get round to making any more planes, I will surely be keeping the bed high until one of the very last procedures.
12.JPG

Nice planes, very crisp looking

Yes, I’m still getting it, re-shaped the wedge but it is still there.

I saw somewhere that shavings like this definitely indicate chatter. Does the forum concur?

Attachments

• 273684F8-3593-4250-BE97-EDEFE566A196.jpeg
    273684F8-3593-4250-BE97-EDEFE566A196.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back