Hole saw set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfoot1980

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a hole saw set from Screwfix but the shank on the Arbor is too big for the 10mm chuck on my drill. Am I able to buy an Arbor with a smaller shank that will then fit the hole saws in the set? Sorry if stupid question but have never used hole saws before. Any advice appreciated.

Just had a look at my hole saw arbores. I do have a smaller one that would fit a 10mm drill but it will only fit the smaller saws, around 32mm hole. I agree with Phil that you are going to struggle to find one.

Okay thanks guys. I do have an old black and decker drill that the Arbor fits in to but it's quite big and I thought it'd be easier to use my smaller Bosch but might have to go with the B&D.

you may in fact be better off with the slightly bigger drill, hole saws (especially the larger sizes) require a lot of torque, and can drain a battery drill quite quickly, so a bigger mains drill, preferably with a handle for your second hand (expect a real wrench / twist to the wrist and brace accordingly) is probably a better choice.

Great thanks for the advice. The B&D is corded and has the second handle so will stick with that. Cheers.

You can buy an arbour that will take the larger sized holesaw cutters & will fit in a 10mm chuck.....I have one!

I cant remember where I got it from but I've had it 30 years.

I'll see if I can find one and post a link....

Edit.
Here's an example....It has a 9.5mm shank so will fit in your 10mm chuck.

ae235.jpeg

https://www.screwfix.com/p/milwaukee-hex-shank-holesaw-arbor-9-5mm/309hh

Last edited:
Toolstation is your friend - smaller one for 14 to 30mm hole saws, larger one for 32 to 152mm. Not the best quality, but OK and will work in cordless tool chucks (so 3/8, I think)

u can never have enough hole saws.....lol....
have now started to buy the saws that have 5% Cobalt...they do seem to work better in mild and Stainless steel.....only about 25%more than standard....
IMG_8571.jpeg

I do work a lot with steel and these have been a life saver.....also good for accurate holes when used on the lathe.....not cheap tho....
lastley there are some TC hole saws from china that can be used in a drill, better still a bench drill...
not mad expensive and last well....
IMG_8572.jpeg

Maybe another point worth mentioning - if you are sawing in virgin materials where there will be no potential inclusions (e.g. new plywood, MDF, etc) then TCT can be very good, just don't try sawing through old floorboards, joists, etc where there is any possibility of hitting metal such as an old nail because that tends to wreck them - bimetallic are far more durable in that case.

Back