Holding timber on your bench without a vice?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacob":1sq8k69g said:
Benchwayze":1sq8k69g said:
You can always sit on a piece that you are morticing with hand-tools. Extreme I know, but some workers just do things that way! :D
Not extreme - quite normal and traditional. You do it on a saw horse, or even better - a purpose made mortice stool. There's one in Ellis I believe.
Actually saw horses are extremely useful, especially in the absence of a proper bench. They are essential accessories in any case.

Yes Jacob.. Thanks.

Happy Morticing and I hope you are recovering.

Watch your step in future eh? :D

Benchwayze":njsp4xwd said:
Happy Morticing and I hope you are recovering.

Watch your step in future eh? :D
Getting better ta. Had my brace adjusted to 60º yesterday - can bend knee but can't put any weight on leg for 10 weeks!
Sitting here in a pineappleing wheel chair! Could be a lot worse - had a visit from a mate who has just had triple bipass heart op, aneurism removed, veins taken from leg for the bypass, new knee joint pending when he's recovered from round one!

Good to hear. Just do a bit of whittling to keep your hand in m'man.
Knee replacement? Bin there, and waiting for Cameron.. Well waiting for the other one to be done, long overdue.
Getting there.
Cheers

Yep! Certain jobs can be undertaken on a saw horse very much easier than on a bench, mortices for one, but why oh why do they make the damn things with four legs now a days?

Roy.

Cheaper than 5? Easier than 6?
Dunno. You tell us! Anyway they don't make them - you do.
They need at least 4 legs and these on plan should splay and extend slightly further than the length of the top so that the thing is inherently stable. They get used as a step-up a lot, and if properly done you can stand on one leg right at the end without it falling over.

Digit":350gkl8b said:
For the benefit of jacob and any others who might be interested, this is a horse...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... bQ&cad=rja

Roy.
There's a trad design with three legs - two as per normal on one side and the third in the middle of the other side - I think intended as table trestles.
Yes 3 legs sits on uneven ground. So does four (with a wedge!).
4 better for a step-up though, and generally more stable.
The chap on the video sounds a bit toothless - I wonder if he lost them falling off his saw horse. :lol:

Jacob":24rp5tid said:
Digit":24rp5tid said:
For the benefit of jacob and any others who might be interested, this is a horse...

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... bQ&cad=rja

Roy.
There's a trad design with three legs - two as per normal on one side and the third in the middle of the other side - I think intended as table trestles.
Yes 3 legs sits on uneven ground. So does four (with a wedge!).
4 better for a step-up though, and generally more stable.
The chap on the video sounds a bit toothless - I wonder if he lost them falling off his saw horse. :lol:

He's likely to lose more than a few teeth if he carries on climb-cutting with a circular saw! :shock: :shock: A saw doesn't care how long you've been at it, or how strong you might be! Still, they're his body parts, not mine.

I like this idea, for those who are short on space.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkqhJh2w ... re=related

(The sound's a bit naff, but the idea is okay!) :D

No Jacob, tother way around. The three legged 'horse' can be stacked BTW.

Roy.

wow massive response thanks for all the tips the climbing cuts seems way to dangerous to be a gd idea to me.
Matt

I'm surprised no one has mentioned these.
DSCN7488.jpg

Adapted from one of BB's ideas.
Not necessary to use bench dogs and pups can be just as easily clamped to the bench or table

DSCN7487.jpg

DSCN7484.jpg

Back