Holdfasts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":3bc6izgq said:
Axminster do one that looks similar to the Record type http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=44
Hi Paul,

Is that equivilent to the Record #145 or #146? I have two Record #145s, with 3 collars (lost one collar :evil: ), and would like to buy another holdfast complete with collars. Tilgear had #146 repros a year ago, but they're not interchangable with the #145 of course.

Cheers, Vann.

they have on TBT olnes hand forged by a traditional blacksmith at the williamsberg museum and forged, i have one of the striking knifes made by the same guy, STUNNING is all i will say...

Sammy

Vann":1y75ew4u said:
Paul Chapman":1y75ew4u said:
Axminster do one that looks similar to the Record type http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... =1&jump=44
Hi Paul,

Is that equivilent to the Record #145 or #146? I have two Record #145s, with 3 collars (lost one collar :evil: ), and would like to buy another holdfast complete with collars. Tilgear had #146 repros a year ago, but they're not interchangable with the #145 of course.

Hi Vann,

I have the Record #145 and the Axminster ones look similar but I'm not sure whether they are equivalent.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I currently have a pair of the excellent TFWW holdfasts which can be beaten into the bench unmercifully.

Before I retired, I had some equally good holdfasts made by a springworks. Surely some of you blokes in the Midlands could sort out a springworks to make a batch for forum members?

Alternatively, you could snaffle a 19mm anti-roll bar off the front of a smashed, mid to large-sized car and cut and bend it to shape with a gas axe at your local, friendly garage.

I would be afraid of the bodily damage the points of those pretty leafy holdfasts could inflict.

I had mine made by the local blacksmith while i waited, I love them cos they are so easy to use and bite like a goodun.

wizer":3s0t6xmi said:
Oh by the way. If you come across the small ones on Dieter Schmidd (sp?), that are cast, don't even think about buying them. I have a pair that MarkW got me, but he managed to break the head off one or both of his. As such I'm scared to use mine. They're ok for light work. But the proper iron ones can take an almighty whack, when needed.

I do like the veritas hold down, except the ribbed bar. Which scuffs up my 19mm holes when I take it out and put back in. It's only fractionally smaller than the hole.

How many holdfasts have you got?!?!? Your bench top must look like swiss cheese...

BugBear

Anyone want to see a proper "man size" holdfast?

holdfast.JPG

BugBear (who hasn't drilled his bench with a hole that big)

Looks about the same size as the veritas. What size is the bar?

Those Record holdfasts and copies are good and strong, I had a Record for years and a few collars on the bench but 2 shortcomings were always there:

One: These devices, although strong, have a nasty habit of moving the work back as you tighten. Not very nice for positioning, in particular for dovetail pin marking for example.

Two: Even with 3 collars they never seemed to be in the correct place. Collar fitting is not a ten minute job.

I now have 30 odd 3/4" holes on the new bench I made and 2 Veritas Holdfasts, very good reach, strong, do not move the work, and would not want to revert back. Worth the investment and more useful than overpriced chisels, for example.

Mike

8)

Been using the record holdfast for years without a collar... always bites well enough 8) 8)

This chap Alex at Stanford Hall near Lutterworth would I dare say oblige anyone with their smithing requirements :wink:

http://www.wulfdalesmithy.com/

When there is a show or summat on in the grounds he is often working in the old forge by the stables and you can watch him at the anvil :D :D

Andy

toolsntat":2rvz909v said:
Been using the record holdfast for years without a collar... always bites well enough 8) 8)

This chap Alex at Stanford Hall near Lutterworth would I dare say oblige anyone with their smithing requirements :wink:

http://www.wulfdalesmithy.com/

When there is a show or summat on in the grounds he is often working in the old forge by the stables and you can watch him at the anvil :D :D

Andy

Thanks for the link, I've emailed him to see if he can make them.

I tried to use the gramercy holdfasts to secure blocks of wood to hold a workpiece for planing across the grain, but they always slip after a few minutes. How do people use their holdfasts?

More info Adrian. What size blocks where you using and how were you securing the holdfasts? Did you import straight from Joel?

It's been a while since I gave up on this method of working holding...but I think I had blocks about a foot long and 2 inches wide. I secured a block with two holdfasts through 3/4" holes in my bench. Bench top is two layers of 3/4 inch plywood. They were secure at first, but eventually the block would slip. I don't remember if the holdfasts would loosen up at that point of not. The Veritas one worked better for me.

I got my holdfasts direct from Joel.

I was more curious about the thickness. I think anything too thick or too thin wouldn't work with this style of hold fast.

What did you do with them? :D

wizer":17zua93w said:
I was more curious about the thickness. I think anything too thick or too thin wouldn't work with this style of hold fast.

The thickness was 1/2 - 3/4 inch.

What did you do with them? :D

I think they would work well for holding things down (as opposed to keeping things from sliding) so I haven't completely given up on finding an application for them some day.

Back