Holdfasts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish to buy one of these for my bench, has anyone got any recommendations? The only one that I come across within the uk is the veritas one - anyone used it?

ByronBlack":kyk1xruy said:
I wish to buy one of these for my bench, has anyone got any recommendations? The only one that I come across within the uk is the veritas one - anyone used it?

I have an old Record one; it's handy to use, but I positioned it non-optimally.

BugBear

Hi, ByronBlack

I have a pair of Woden ones that need collars, I beleve you can get them from Axminister, that I don't use, interested?

Pete

The grammercy style is the best. FACT :wink:

Thanks for the info chaps - do those ones from axminster have to have a collar installed to use? I was hoping to get one that can just go into a 19mm hole...

The other thing that would worry me about those is the large screw attachment.

Basically, I'm after something like this:

hf6.JPG

Pete - thanks for the offer, but I wanted to try and avoid installing collars onto the workbench if possible - assuming I'm understanding the meaning of collar. (In the axminster picture, is it the circular black thing on the surface of the bench?)

imho if you don't want to spend the money importing one from TFWW then the only other option is the Veritas one, which is very good. However, I'd much prefer to have the proper ones like you pictured. So far whenever this has come up, no one has found a UK maker\seller. I did think about approaching some blacksmiths. But then I wondered why the likes of CHT, Workshop Heaven, etc haven't already done so?

ByronBlack":2vrb4lxi said:
Tom - I take it you bought the gramercy ones? Did you have to import them?

I bought 2 of them a couple of xmases ago. One as a present for MarkW (for helping me out of a few thousand holes and one went to my secret santa (Tiddles). I was absolutely gutted when I gave it away. They are the donkey's whatsits.

wizer":2e0bvxuv said:
imho if you don't want to spend the money importing one from TFWW then the only other option is the Veritas one, which is very good. However, I'd much prefer to have the proper ones like you pictured. So far whenever this has come up, no one has found a UK maker\seller. I did think about approaching some blacksmiths. But then I wondered why the likes of CHT, Workshop Heaven, etc haven't already done so?

It is odd that no one is making these here, they can't be that difficult/expensive to make.

I don't mind importing them if I have to - do you know how much it comes to with the VAT and duty? Could still be cheaper than the veritas one (which I don't like because of the large head on it).

Ah see I bought them when the dollar was kinder. Today they are

$31.95 for a pair
$44.18 for shipping
$76.13 = £53.26 @ today's ex rate.
£26.63 each

Not bad actually. I distinctly remember not being charged customs. But that was luck, not a given.

I'd be tempted to buy one if we where bulk buying?

I'm going to make some enquiries about having them made in the UK. TFWW state they use some special blend of springy metal, but I'm sure the old ones worked just as well.

BB

I bought a few of the Axminster versions. You can see them on my workbench here. Skip to midway down page 3.

They're a bit rough round the edges (not literally - there's too much paint on them for that!), and one of the pins came out of one of them (quick fix with some blu-tak). But for the cash, I reckon they're spot on. I've just been using them to help plane a straight edge on some 8' boards.

You can buy extra collars too, which can be strategically place, much like dog-holes.

Cheers

Karl

I've always used the Record Holdfasts with a nice ci collar in the bench. Never had any problems with them and I often see one for sale in PFT...usually no collar though - Rob

Tom, I think i might be tempted to import a pair if you are interested in buying one? I dont think i'll need two, so would be happy to split with you if you want one

Racers":187o62zr said:
Hi,

Local blacksmith?

Pete

In the past couple of hours, I've tried to contact five blacksmiths kind of local to me, and none are either interested, or are contactable - which is a shame, if one of them could do it, I would imagine it would be a nice little earner for them.

Back