Holdfasts without the hold.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But it's Quebec yellow pine and it is nothing like scots pine or southern yellow pine.

We use it for picture frame carving as it's soft and easy to work, with very little change in hardness between early and late wood.

Thank you all for the replies the video helped a lot, also and thinking about the way force is applied to the board. I may add some planing stops. Such as the Veritas or two flush morticed stops (bottom left of the bench and top).
The top is quite soft and one day I may replace it but for all other purposes it makes a fine bench and I'm very happy with it. Just this aspect of it is requiring a different approach.

Please do let me know what you think of the planing stop options.

Thank you again

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    4.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 503966_inset2_xl_veritas-2.jpg
    503966_inset2_xl_veritas-2.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 2
But it's Quebec yellow pine and it is nothing like scots pine or southern yellow pine.

We use it for picture frame carving as it's soft and easy to work, with very little change in hardness between early and late wood.
Have to admit I have never come across Quebec yellow pine so was not aware of how soft it is.
Regards
John

If the bench wood is that soft, perhaps you should re-drill the dog holes with a 40mm Oak stepped insert and drill new 19mm dog holes.

Latest posts

Back