Holdfast - what have you got?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don’t know what happened but you will need to expand the previous post to see my comment or here it is again. I am in the states at the moment and Gramercy holdfast are $40 a pair so I think somebody was lifting your leg! Or you can get them from Germany for about €45 a pair plus costs of course. Ian

I've got these (the top Juuma ones) from Fine Tools: 3/4 Inch Bench Hold Downs FINE TOOLS (fine-tools.com)

They're really affordable compared to all others I've seen, but really well built. Can't really see how I would ever break these, and they work really well too.

1632657095514.png

I’ve got a couple of gramercy ones which were great value for money - not sure if you can get them easily now post brexit. I’ve also got an auriou holdfast which is an absolute beast.

I tend to use the gramercy ones as the go-to as they are a bit lighter, and the auriou when I really want something to stay put.
+1 gramercy

You don's say if you are a powertool user or prefer to wield the mallet, in which case your requirements are different and the workbench more substantial.

As a powertool user, albeit envious of those skilled with the mallet I only need a less substantial bench and use a few dogs with microjig dovetail slots to meet my needs, a very good all round flexible solution for me.

I consider myself a hybrid woodworker. I like using powertools, but I quite often reach for a chisel and have a blast with it.

They may be $44 a pair in the US but here in OZ $66 each. I could only find one supplier for them here. Our importers like to have a little mark up. Being at the ends of the earth we have less options. International postage is also giving us the rough end of the pineapple.
Regards
John

These come up quite often in '.vide greniers' (Boot sales) here in France where they are clled 'valets' and can be bought for one or two €'s.

These look fairly easy to make. are there any advantages to the different shapes? Some are quite angular, others have different radius curves.

Gramercy. I have two but as has been mentioned unless it's really big tend to use just one and a bench dog to stop things moving.

I've ordered the pair of Sjobergs clamps - Already have a Sjoberg vice, so I already like them a bit. But also don't feel like hammering. So the decision was made

Thank you all for dropping the notes.

Latest posts

Back