Hofmann & Hammer workbenches

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howjoe

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening,

Has anyone got one of these benches - if so, does the price reflect in the quality of build / materials?

Cheers

Howard

It is instructive to compare different brands by weight. And then to calculate a cost/lb figure for each.

I'm waiting in the wings to buy a bench, and it will be one of those two. The big seller here in the US is Sjoberg from Sweden. You hear a lot of complaints about that brand because of flimsy legs, a relatively thin benchtop hidden by a wide skirt, and lack of rigidity when working.

The Hoffman and Hammer benches weigh in at over 200 lbs in the larger sizes. Those figures reflect strength. My local wood machine dealer swears by both brands, while hehandled others, including some in kit form.

Gary Curtis - California

Hi Howard

Sorry I can't help with the H & H but I looked at a couple of Sjobergs in a DIY shed a few weeks ago and wasn't impressed for the reasons Gary mentioned

74extiger":3h9kv1wk said:
Sjoberg from Sweden. You hear a lot of complaints about that brand because of flimsy legs, a relatively thin benchtop hidden by a wide skirt, and lack of rigidity when working.

Thanks Gary & Scott.

I read somewhere about the Sjobergs, but can't remember where.

Anyway, I've taken the plunge and ordered a Hofmann & Hammer bench from Rutlands. 14-21 day order time - from Germany. I'm quite impatient...so it's finger tapping time!

Still interested to hear from anyone who has experience of the these benches.

Cheers

Howard

Don't forget Emir benches. They supply schools as well as joiners and cabinetmakers. Pricey, but very solid.

Mmmm...I acquired a second-hand bench. It looks very similar/identical to an H&H..especially the vices, legs, tool well etc but there is no logo on the bench to confirm one way or t'other. The vices say 'Made in germany' but that's about it from the point of identification. The top is made from solid beech...long strips.

Very, very, very heavy. But it racks like anything and the front vice jaws are not parallel and no easy way to square them up.

I appreciate that without confirmation it's an H&H this post may be of limited value. :oops:

Back