Hobbymat BFE 65 milling head...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickds1

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi

I've had one of these for many many years (and the MD 65 lathe that goes with it).

I've not used the BFE for years - just tried to and it seems to have a fairly serious gearbox issue - not at all sure what that might be...

Anyone know anything about these?

Note: I have the manual - just not taken the head off yet as it's a bit of a pain to do... and I don't want to open it up just for the hell of it :)

Ta

I could be completly wrong here, but I had one 15 odd years ago and I am sure it was just a pair of stepped pulleys, no gears. So the only likely candidates are bearings or a damaged belt.

I could be completly wrong here, but I had one 15 odd years ago and I am sure it was just a pair of stepped pulleys, no gears. So the only likely candidates are bearings or a damaged belt.

Not a belt or pulley in sight - its all gears... (I have the manual too).

Looking like it's a "open and poke around" job at least...

Some, if not all, the internal gears are made of fibre/plastic and very prone to stripping teeth. This is a particular problem when people try to change speed with the mill still running. Open it up and have a good look for missing or broken teeth.

Reading around, that's what I found - there are two versions - the later uses plastic gears! It seems that the gears have a habit of dislodging and jamming - sometimes the fix is easy, sometimes not so...

Is there anywhere that makes these to order, i.e. custom fibre gears at a reasonable price?

I seem to recall that some spares used to be available, but I've not seen that for many years now, as I sold my lathe/mill several years ago now. Suggest that Google is your friend! There are also companies who will make special gears, but that won't be cheap! Good luck!

Latest posts

Back