Hobbyist Circular saw recommendation.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArthurTwoSheds

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been searching around these forums for a while now trying to guage what tools would be a worthwhile investment for my current setup.

Bit of background; Ive be been turning my hands at wood working for a little while now and have built some rudimentary bits from 2x4s and free pallets that I have ready access to. I have limited space and a small selection of tools at my disposal.

I've found my cheapo BnQ brand CSMS working well but wanted to expand just a little bit so I could tackle other projects.

My research intially led to a Table Saw but after reading through these forums they seem a very American thing. That and I don't have a great deal of space and my accommodation isn't permanent. So that brought me to track saws, but again I think I may need something more, universal?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would I be right in saying a good circular saw would be handy in my situation? Eventually I'll have a more long term space to work in.

My budget is small as a hobbyist and I have seen a Makita HS7601J/2 and the Bosch GKS 190.

Thanks for reading my war and peace.

TLDR: should I buy a Bosch GKS 190 or a Makita HS7601J/2 to cut wood in my garage.

What do you plan to make?

I use my track saw a great deal - BUT only for cutting up sheet goods.
I use my 12" sliding mitre saw daily.
I use my bandsaw a lot.
I use my circular saw (mainly big Hilti) for dealing with timber framing.
I use handsaws a lot.
And I use my circular saw table with cast iron sliding bed hardly at all.

If I was just doing hobbyist small scale woodwork, I might well stick to handsaws. Good quality ones.

Latest posts

Back