Hobby packs - good value ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulogngham

StillJustAboutGotAllMyFingers
Reaction score
Folks,
I’m a “hobbies” and am thinking of ordering ‘hobby’ packs from “British Hardwood”.
Because I’m over in Telford, deliver is extra £50 on top, so I’m thinking of ordering at least 1cuft each of maple, cherry, American walnut, and ash. About £300 quids worth. I don’t have anything specific to make apart from a few small tables, chairs, small drawers etc.

I don’t have any experience in working with these wood apart from oak and pine. I have pretty much all the machines to mill these sawn timber.

My question is, has anyone ordered these hobby packs from British Hardwood and are they any good in value ? Quality etc ?

Or am I better to find suppliers near to me where I can visit ?

I would not dream of doing that. Buy what you need (plus extra) for what you intend to make. My advice for an amateur is do not use too many different timbers - stick to oak or beech or cherry (say) and always over order a bit. Eventually a good stock builds up. I mainly use oak personally.

Also - choose your timber yourself, at the woodyard, if you possibly can. Always. Don't buy random cast offs aka hobby packs.

One of the pieces of advice I took on board here was to limit your main timbers to two or three (I think that was from the esteemed @custard ) so maybe narrowing your options would be a good place to start.

I like British Hardwoods and their stock is good quality and fairly priced. I am local so would have a drive over and pic what I want. I would avoid the hobby packs. If you have 1|" or 2" boards, you can plan accordingly. With a mixed bag of all sorts, it is a load of offcuts that you cannot do much with.

As suggested above, buy for what you need plus a bit of extra. It will be cheaper in the long run too because you wont have £ tied up in other people offcuts.

I wouldn't pay £50 for delivery, there will be somewhere local to you. They may not have a web store though, so you may have to Gove them a call. timber stock changes so often that the majority of places dont list specific pieces on their website because it depends what the tree yields.

I have used British Hardwoods and they are a good outfit. They do an open day once a year which the likes of Classic Hand Tools rock up for and when you can have a pick through some interesting bundles of timber.

They are however not too far away for me so I have always seen what I am buying. £50 seems a lot to shell out for delivery - have you not got anywhere closer that you could use?

I am a big fan of the offcut bin - most timber yards seem to have one. Even if I have gone for something specific I have a look and end up picking some pieces at a bargain price that will be useful in the future.

Why not see what is available locally?

Perhaps even local saw mills?

A bit if effort with a scrubbing plane and you'll have what you want much cheaper?

Cheers James

All,
Thank you so much for your insights. I’ve read Custard’s post about choosing stock. I think I shall try to find some thing closer to Telford.

Anyone have any recommendations?

My car is ‘estate’ size so can fit in long lengths.
TP

If you have a Facebook account - put a search in "Marketplace" for hardwood - I've picked up lots of boards locally from small one-man-bands who have a chain-saw and an Alaskan mill (or better) all for far less than commercial outlets. I've fallen in love with Norfolk wild-cherry and hornbeam, having both in the garden.

I paid £15 today for a 1930s pitch pine door, and it was less than 5 minutes away from where I live, this was on ebay, even though it's a bit of work cutting the door up all you need are a pair of sawhorses and a cheap hardpoint saw if you're just getting started and the quality of pitch pine is in a different league to anything you can buy today, and it also smells amazing too, I feel like this is the way forward for me in terms of finding new stock.

The widest piece is 8 inches on the bottom rail, perfectly quartersawn, every single rail and style is defect free.

Last edited:
Pitch pine is just lovely, but I’d still work out what you want to make before buying material to make it, that doesn’t sound like a plan for success.
Aidan

All,
Thank you so much for your insights. I’ve read Custard’s post about choosing stock. I think I shall try to find some thing closer to Telford.

Anyone have any recommendations?

My car is ‘estate’ size so can fit in long lengths.
TP

border hardwood in Wem isn’t too far from you.Mainly oak though.

So my wife wants me to make this for her.. otherwise she would go and buy it at £855 !

Dimension is H:54 W:165 D:55
Instead of teak, I'm think cherry or maple or may be walnut.

I've done a quick calculations of how much stock (cubic foot) I would need, but just to compare any advice on how to calculate this ?

My idea is just to take boards down to thickness it to between 3/4 under 1".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201115-075044_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201115-075044_Chrome.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20201115-074952_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201115-074952_Chrome.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20201115-075029_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201115-075029_Chrome.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 30
I'm also in Telford - AK Williams sells oak, beech, sapele and a couple of others off the shelf.

(And if you're only looking for wood for small projects, don't be too proud to look in any skips you pass, I've had some brilliant finds in the past)

I paid £15 today for a 1930s pitch pine door........

I know I've posted this before, but ...... well. I'm proud of this find, and it illustrates my point !

These are some doors I found in a skip - the builders let me have them for nothing just so they had more skip space. I took the glass out and left it there.
2CUjol.jpg

This pic is about 1/3rd of the rails, and some of the stiles (arrowed). All of the wood in this picture was either found or given. Once friends know you collect hardwood, you'll be surprised how many old tables, doors and frames you get given.
shed.jpg 2CUWNf.jpg

I'm also in Telford - AK Williams sells oak, beech, sapele and a couple of others off the shelf.

(And if you're only looking for wood for small projects, don't be too proud to look in any skips you pass, I've had some brilliant finds in the past)
I’m also in Telford and yes, A K Williams should be able to help. Other than them, not much else around

So my wife wants me to make this for her.. otherwise she would go and buy it at £855 !

Dimension is H:54 W:165 D:55
Instead of teak, I'm think cherry or maple or may be walnut.

I've done a quick calculations of how much stock (cubic foot) I would need, but just to compare any advice on how to calculate this ?

My idea is just to take boards down to thickness it to between 3/4 under 1".

Work out a cut list. You will need this anyway. At this stage, it may be more of a panel list, so top is 2ft X 10ft X (1/12)ft, shelf, bottom and back the same. Front near enough the same. Whatever the ends are, PLUS WASTAGE. Add it up for an idea.

Right, now you’re cooking!

With a design like that I’d think about using pre-veneered sheet, it might be hugely cheaper. It’s not the same as solid but may be an option

Aidan

Latest posts

Back