Hobby cnc users.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyesaw

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello.
I fancy having a go at owning and using a cnc machine.
Are there any members on here who could shed some light on this subject.
Looking on you tube is a minefeild and mainly for the u.s market.
Thank you

Eysaw. :D

Peter Millard on YouTube just started a series on CNCs, UK based (Essex) supplier. That will get you started.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I have an eShapeoko which is similar to the X-carve which I’m sure you would of seen if you’ve been looking on YouTube.

Are there any aspects of it in particular you have questions about?

sammy.se":3vy8rcyl said:
Peter Millard on YouTube just started a series on CNCs, UK based (Essex) supplier. That will get you started.

Thank you sammy.se.
I will look.

oakfield":8g80r908 said:
I have an eShapeoko which is similar to the X-carve which I’m sure you would of seen if you’ve been looking on YouTube.

Are there any aspects of it in particular you have questions about?
Thank you oakfeild.
Iv'e been looking at videos on the shapeoko.
I know some about cad as i participated in a cad course at college some years ago.
What becomes a minfeild for me is knowing what software and hardware is good value for £££ and which hobby cnc has the largest available part suppliers for the uk market.

I have a 750mm 2nd gen (2017+) X-Carve. Happy with it. The support around it is excellent. The X-Controller is plug and play, no messing around. Pretty easy to put together with the 2nd gen as it is all plug-in connectors.

I mainly use Fusion 360 to design and generate tool paths with its CAM mode, but if you want to keep it simple, Easel is very straightforward.

galleywood":3te798v6 said:
There is a CNC workshop at Barleylands where you can rent a machine for a trial, I believe.
That sounds interesting and a path that could well worth trying.

Thank you.

Bodgers":1tc8e0em said:
I have a 750mm 2nd gen (2017+) X-Carve. Happy with it. The support around it is excellent. The X-Controller is plug and play, no messing around. Pretty easy to put together with the 2nd gen as it is all plug-in connectors.

I mainly use Fusion 360 to design and generate tool paths with its CAM mode, but if you want to keep it simple, Easel is very straightforward.
I think easy to use could be the way to go. Whst is the largest workable size peice you can produce on your x -carve ?

Hi

Build your own, I did, took a lot of research and sourcing parts but glad I didn't splash the cash on a ready built machine. Since those pictures I've swapped the Bosch router for a 1.5kw air cooled spindle which is much quieter and at the moment I'm updating the gantry plus I'm using the cnc to cut it. As for speed when I cut the new gantry sides and back last weekend I was running at 200 inches per minute, obviously for more complex shapes I run it quite a bit slower.

My CNC build

Cheers
Steve

Steve Jones":1g0h365s said:
Hi

Build your own, I did, took a lot of research and sourcing parts but glad I didn't splash the cash on a ready built machine. Since those pictures I've swapped the Bosch router for a 1.5kw air cooled spindle which is much quieter and at the moment I'm updating the gantry plus I'm using the cnc to cut it. As for speed when I cut the new gantry sides and back last weekend I was running at 200 inches per minute, obviously for more complex shapes I run it quite a bit slower.

My CNC build

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve, what was the total cost, all in, of building your own?

Ah, I just saw on your thread - it says between £500 and £1000.

sammy.se":3nw250lx said:
Steve Jones":3nw250lx said:
Hi

My CNC build

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve, what was the total cost, all in, of building your own?

Hi Steve.
Thats right up my allie but i would not know what to buy where to buy it or how build it especialy when talking electrical components or software.

I've just looked at your cnc build thread.
Well done what a fantastic job.
i'd be very proud after making that.
I don't have a lathe or know anybody who does.

Well done.

Eyesaw":25je20wb said:
I've just looked at your cnc build thread.
Well done what a fantastic job.
i'd be very proud after making that.
I don't have a lathe or know anybody who does.

Well done.

Thanks, must admit there were a few times I nearly threw in the towel but glad I stuck with it in the end, it even earns me a few pennies occasionally now :lol:

Steve

I have an Ooznest WorkBee CNC. Really pleased with it so far, and it's a solid bit of kit.

Not used it in anger yet, other than to test it. I'm in the process of building a soundproofing enclosure for it as it's really loud using the dewalt router, and I don't want to upset the neighbours...

Don't worry about software at this stage. There is plenty of free stuff out there to get you up and running, then you can upgrade as necessary.

I've got a Ooznest Workbee and are very pleased with the quality and support as it's manufactured in the uk
It is lead screw driven as opposed to belt driven
They also supply components for build your own

https://ooznest.co.uk

Eyesaw":yo7qyla0 said:
Bodgers":yo7qyla0 said:

I think easy to use could be the way to go. Whst is the largest workable size peice you can produce on your x -carve ?
The 750mm capacity is just over 500mm square. But, that's not a complete restriction, as you can key a work piece in and move it along to do longer pieces.

There is a larger one at 1000mm. And a smaller at 500mm.

Hello again to all who have participated in this thread.
I'm still undecided on which cnc router to purchase.
I've heard of a british company called ooznest and they produce a cnc router set up with a working area of 1300 x 1300.
There are promotional videos on you tube but I haven't seen any in depth reviews.

Does anybody on this site have experience with this company.
I think they call there machine set up workbee.
I'd be interested in any information regarding these from actual users who have purchased through ooznest.

Thank you.

Latest posts

Back