Hobbies

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippygeoff

Established Member
Reaction score
I ordered some blades from Mikes workshop. I am not sure how much longer I have to wait till they get here, he posted them on the 17th. I went into town and went to two shops and bought some Eclipse blades, total rubbish, they would struggle to cut butter. I then went to the only other shop for miles around that may have sold blades and they had one packet by record power but they were a very fine number 2 blade by the look of them so i bought those at the extortionate price of £9-99 for 12. I have just ordered some blades from Hobbies. a selection of Olsen blades but also some of hobbies own brand of reverse blades numbers 5, 7 and 9. Has anyone used these blades and if so how well do you rate them.

Hi Chippygeoff

The laws of average say that Mikes blades should be with you on Monday

I've never used Hobbies 'own brand' so I'm no help on that.. but they wont be as good as FD .. :p

hi geoff i use the hobbies niqua blades all the time i also use flying dutchman i think the niqua ones are very good but the flying dutchman blades seem to last a bit longer hope this helps

Thanks everyone. It is so frustrating when you only have very thin number 2 blades and a whole pile of patterns glued to wood ready for cutting out and also 3D patterns glued to 1 and a half inch square hardwood and no way of cutting them out. Still, it is Sunday today and hopefully the blades from Mikes workshop will turn up tomorrow. Thanks DaveyP for working out the law of averages. I know the Hobbies blades wont be as good as the FDs but at least they will enable me to make a start and they should be here on Tuesday.

Out of interest. I was on an American site that sold the tubes for keeping blades in and they looked just the job. I would love to get some tubes and then make a nice little rack for them. Does anyone know anywhere in the UK where I could buy a dozen. If the push comes to the push I can buy some 15mm plastic pipe meant for plumbing and glue some end caps on but the end caps I saw in B and Q were so expensive for what they are and were enormous compared to the size of the pipe as they were the push fit type. Many thanks to everyone who replied.

Geoff.

I think you'll find Hobbies own brand and Mike's FD brand are the same blades.

I've just had some blades from Mike and they took 12 days to arrive. As for storing blades I drilled 3/4" holes 4" deep in a block of wood, one for each size of blade.

Lofteyhermes. Thanks for the info. I had a feeling I would end up waiting as long as you did. I ordered the assortment pack and the biggest blade is a number five and being new to the scroll saw feel this is the most common size blade that scrollers use. I shall be cutting 1 and a half inch square ash and mahogany for some 3D items so feel a number 7 or 9 blade would be better suited to this but that it only my opinion and from what I have gleamed from other members post. When I had a scroll saw before, maybe 20 years ago. I too used a block of wood with 3/4 holes drilled into it 4inches deep to keep all my blades in, then one day someone came into the workshop and knocked it over, have you ever tried sorting over 1000 blades out into their different grades. Never again. I shall keep my blades formle sealed in tubes and then make a nice rack for them, if it gets knocked over then the blades wont get mixed up.

Gill. Thanks for that info, If hobbies blades are the same as FDs I will be very pleased.

DaveyP. Thanks for the links. I had a look on e-bay, there is certainly a very wide choice and I am very grateful for the links. I have ordered 10 tubes, so cheap.

Hawkinob. I will let you know how I get on with hardwood square section. Had a go earlier with the thin blades I got. It was like watching paint dry?

Thanks to Bobman and Puzzler as well.

Mouse. I really love your blade holder and will make one just like it this coming weekend. I have ordered some test tubes with caps on (150mm x 16mm) from a link to e-bay that DaveyP kindly gave me so they will be here this week. I have been on the scroll saw all evening using the new blades from Mikes workshop. What can I say that has not already been said, they are simply brilliant, especially the ultra reverse. Thanks guys.

Geoff.

I store my blades in false teeth cleaning tablet tubes !!! :roll:
and they are FREE , if you know someone with false teeth :lol: :lol:
----------------FRANK-----------------

P.S. NO , i'm not mean , i just don't like paying :lol: :lol:

Latest posts

Back