Hob.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife wants me to replace our electric hob with a propane unit. Let me guess, I am legally an silly person and must not do it myself?

Roy.

Why not get an induction hob, quicker than gas, more efficient than gas, safer than gas. You could install yourself.

'Cos her who must be obeyed wants gas! Also I can have a cuppa when the power's off.

Roy.

Sod gas. Induction all the way..
We have best of both worlds... An induction hob and a gas domino for the odd pan that won't work on the induction. Though you do find yourself shouting "Come on, hurry up and boil" when you use the gas.

Si

The best of both worlds here Si is can I cook or is the power off, again!?

Roy.

Our electrical power is by overhead supply, we have had lines down from trees falling, transformers exploding, power surges taking out every PC in town and starting fires, lightening strikes and we are about to have the supply cut for an indeterminate time for 'essential maintenance,' at a date yet to be determined.

Roy.

What, no Swans? Usual cause of 3 or 4 power cuts around here each year.

In answer to the original question I think that you probably are an idiiot (legally). Connecting the gas shouldn't take very long or cost much. Make sure you use the right jets - for some reason propane needs different ones to mains gas.

Wrt induction hobs - how well do they work with a proper chinese wok?

As far as i am aware, the "gas act 1995" is still the relevant piece of legislation, and according to this, provided you do the work competantly...(i.e. according to the rules and regs....) YES you can do it yourself...you only need to be a "registered person" if you are doing the job for reward..i.e making a fast buck out of it.....You can even do gas work for a charity...provided you do it for free...

As a corgi registered plumber said to me....do you know the difference between you and me......

well says he...If I do it wrong and it blows up...I can get 10 years......if you do it and it blows up..........you can get 10 years..........

knappers":3ea8p2j7 said:
Sod gas. Induction all the way..
We have best of both worlds... An induction hob and a gas domino for the odd pan that won't work on the induction. Though you do find yourself shouting "Come on, hurry up and boil" when you use the gas.

Si

Cheers for that Si - was planning to fit an induction hob, but have the odd requirement for gas. Good to know don't have to fit a full hob.

Cheers

Dibs

I have agree with Roy on the cook not being able to cook thing.

Our electric cooker decided to pack up in October, it was only 4 years old, so I decided we would go for gas because of the odd power cut we get here in the borders and have no other way of cooking

Fortunately even though we are rural the gas main runs in the field next to our cottage so we have mains gas.

Anyhow the cooker went in and since then we have had 4 power cuts the longest being for 26 hours.

Still managed to cook a roast dinner which was eaten by candle light .

If you live in the middle of a city its one thing but when you live in the country it pays to have a back up plan.

Glad I keep my generator at home as it saved all the stuff in the freezers during the 26 hour cut.

I know induction is quicker but I will stick with gas.

Tom

No - we had a 15hr power cut week before last.
Thank goodness we have a gas hob and gas fire!

Rod:)

We have propane for cooking (large cooker,4 burners, griddle, grill, two ovens) and a 47kg bottle lasts us over six months. make sure to get a changeover valve system so that when one bottle runs out it swops to the full one automatically. Ironically we live about 5 miles from Bacton in Norfolk where about half of britians natural gas comes ashore and we dont have gas in the village.

Much as I would like to live in the 'countryside' those power cuts would annoy the dung out of me.

Having said that we used to holiday at the inlaws in spain, they didnt get mains electric for 6 years - had to run a generator to flush the toilets. That didnt bother me, perhaps its just this sodding country.

Sorry, this has no relavence to your question #-o

Got a change over kit today from my normal builder's supply company, I was less than pleased to note that the estimated life of the valve is three years!
Power cuts are something we learn to live with NS, same as we do with rain or wind, what Zilch-Wedlock me off with them is the neigbours, most have lived here longer than we have, one since WW2, and guess who is the only one with oil lamps, candles or a camping stove?
The last long winter one we were providing hot drinks for half the village!

Roy.

Back